应届毕业生专属福利!

求职就业群
赵安豆老师微信:zhaoandou666

经管之家联合CDA

送您一个全额奖学金名额~ !

感谢您参与论坛问题回答

经管之家送您两个论坛币!

+2 论坛币
SchultzInvestmentHumanCapital.pdf (2.21 MB)
Theodore W. Schultz publishes an article in the American Economic Review entitled "Investment in Human Capital." The previous year, Schultz had presented this article as his Presidential Address at the seventy-third annual meeting of the American Economic Association.

In this article, Schultz introduces his theory of Human Capital. He argues that both knowledge and skill are a form of capital, and that this capital is a product of "deliberate investment." Schultz highlights Western countries, and explains their increase in national output as a result of investment in human capital. He also makes a direct link between an increase in investment in human capital, and the overall increase in workers earnings.

The first section of the article deals with 'Shying Away from Investment in Man'. It argues that economists have been afraid to relate to human beings as capital. Schultz believes that the concept of human capital has negative connotations that arise from the American experience of slavery, and that society is hypersensitive towards anything that serves as a reminder of that system. For Schultz, however, the concept of human capital implies an investment in people. He argues that education, training, and investments in health open up opportunities and choices that otherwise would be unavailable to many individuals. Schultz compares the acquisition of knowledge and skills to acquiring the "means of production." Workers no longer have to be at the mercy of others; instead they can be in control of increasing their own productivity and earnings.

The second section of the article deals with Economic Growth from Human Capital. Schultz argues that the difference in earnings between people relates to the differences in access to education and health. For example, when farm folk move to the city, or when African-American kids look to find work, they experience a barrier that arises from their lack of human capital (i.e., appropriate knowledge and skill). Schultz also argues that in many underdeveloped countries, food and shelter are of primary concern, and thus there are short-term investments made to deal with these crises. In societies whose main concern is not basic needs, there is the opportunity for long-term investment in education, health, and migration (i.e., helping people adjust by finding them jobs and offering them the opportunity to learn/improve their skills). In the long-term these investments will strengthen the economy and raise the standard of living.

The third section deals with the 'Scope and Substance of These Investments'. Schultz argues that investment in human capital must focus on supporting individuals in acquiring an education, since it is skill and knowledge that affect one's ability to do productive work. He believes that an investment to enhance these capabilities leads to an increase in human productivity, which in turn leads to a positive rate of return. Schultz criticizes those who see investment in human capital as a cost. He argues that while in the short-term there may be a cost (i.e., cost of facility, loss of earnings for workers while in school, etc), in the long-term the yield from the investment will far outweigh the cost.

Finally, the fourth section deals with 'A Concluding Note on Policy'. Here, Schultz discusses social implications and policy of his theory. This can be summarized in nine main points:

1. Existing tax laws (i.e., in 1961) discriminate against the investment in human capital.
2. Unemployment (i.e., sitting idly) causes human capital to deteriorate.
3. There are hindrances to free choices of professions.
4. There is a need to provide funds for investment in human capital, and thus, long-term public and private loans should be made available to students.
5. There should be investments made in migration (i.e., in helping people settle and find education).
6. There has been a failure to adequately invest in those who sit on the periphery of society (i.e., African-Americans, Puerto-Ricans, Mexican Nationals, etc.).
7. There has been an under-investment in human beings in general (beyond just those on the margins).
8. The return on public investment in human capital should not be returned directly to each individual. The individual will see a return in the form of wages, and will benefit from a strong economy.
9. As a society, we must assist underdeveloped countries to achieve economic growth, and to begin investing in human capital.

Since this article first appeared, there has been much praise (in 1979 Schultz received the Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences) and much criticism for human capital theory. Today, many still believe that society needs to invest in people for the sake of a stronger, more productive economy, and also to increase the opportunities and choices open to the individual. At the same time, however, many criticize the Human Capital Theory as serving the needs of those in power (i.e., government and business), and not the individual.
二维码

扫码加我 拉你入群

请注明:姓名-公司-职位

以便审核进群资格,未注明则拒绝

关键词:Investment investmen Capital Invest capita investment Investment highlights countries knowledge

已有 1 人评分经验 收起 理由
np84 + 100 精彩帖子

总评分: 经验 + 100   查看全部评分

本帖被以下文库推荐

沙发
belovedjenny 发表于 2013-8-20 12:10:01 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
多谢

使用道具

藤椅
janewxz 发表于 2019-8-7 14:19:08 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
感谢楼主的分享!谢谢!

使用道具

板凳
人虞de眼泪 发表于 2019-10-29 09:18:53 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
感谢楼主的分享!谢谢!

使用道具

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 我要注册

本版微信群
加JingGuanBbs
拉您进交流群

京ICP备16021002-2号 京B2-20170662号 京公网安备 11010802022788号 论坛法律顾问:王进律师 知识产权保护声明   免责及隐私声明

GMT+8, 2024-4-20 04:18