帖子
精华
在线时间
9407 小时
注册时间
2007-12-10
最后登录
2024-4-24

二级伯乐勋章 一级伯乐勋章 初级学术勋章 中级学术勋章 初级热心勋章 中级热心勋章 初级信用勋章 中级信用勋章 高级学术勋章 高级热心勋章 特级学术勋章 高级信用勋章 特级信用勋章 特级热心勋章

相似文件 换一批

+2 论坛币
k人 参与回答

经管之家送您一份

应届毕业生专属福利!

求职就业群
赵安豆老师微信:zhaoandou666

经管之家联合CDA

送您一个全额奖学金名额~ !

感谢您参与论坛问题回答

经管之家送您两个论坛币!

+2 论坛币
作为“MIT帮”中的一员,克鲁格曼解释了为什么这个团体能够执掌全球经济的各个脉门,他甚至认为要不是一些意见未被采纳,“MIT帮”原本可以更加成功的。[相关阅读]中的研究论文从经济史的角度解释了“MIT帮”的崛起。(提醒:之前的附件有问题,现已更新!

[相关阅读]
纽约时报:斯坦福大学经济系是如何后来居上的?

本帖隐藏的内容

MIT Eco Department.pdf (1.02 MB)

克鲁格曼的其他高论:

Krugman.PNG
大牛Paul Krugman:日本,对不起!
大牛Paul Krugman:日本,对不起!(系列之二)
大牛Paul Krugman:日本,对不起!(系列之三)
大牛Paul Krugman:重新思考日本
克鲁格曼:汇率制度,资本流动和金融危机 Currency Regimes, Capital Flows
大牛Paul Krugman对中国此次救市的评论是。。。

The M.I.T. Gang
JULY 24, 2015

econ_mitcharticle04__01__960.jpg

Goodbye, Chicago boys. Hello, M.I.T. gang.

If you don’t know what I’m talking about, the term “Chicago boys” was originally used to refer to Latin American economists, trained at the University of Chicago, who took radical free-market ideology back to their home countries. The influence of these economists was part of a broader phenomenon: The 1970s and 1980s were an era of ascendancy for laissez-faire economic ideas and the Chicago school, which promoted those ideas.

But that was a long time ago. Now a different school is in the ascendant, and deservedly so.

It’s actually surprising how little media attention has been given to the dominance of M.I.T.-trained economists in policy positions and policy discourse. But it’s quite remarkable. Ben Bernanke has an M.I.T. Ph.D.; so do Mario Draghi, the president of the European Central Bank, and Olivier Blanchard, the enormously influential chief economist of the International Monetary Fund. Mr. Blanchard is retiring, but his replacement, Maurice Obstfeld, is another M.I.T. guy — and another student of Stanley Fischer, who taught at M.I.T. for many years and is now the Fed’s vice chairman.

These are just the most prominent examples. M.I.T.-trained economists, especially Ph.D.s from the 1970s, play an outsized role at policy institutions and in policy discussion across the Western world. And yes, I’m part of the same gang.

So what distinguishes M.I.T. economics, and why does it matter? To answer that question, you need to go back to the 1970s, when all the people I’ve just named went to graduate school.

At the time, the big issue was the combination of high unemployment with high inflation. The coming of stagflation was a big win for Milton Friedman, who had predicted exactly that outcome if the government tried to keep unemployment too low for too long; it was widely seen, rightly or (mostly) wrongly, as proof that markets get it right and the government should just stay out of the way.

Or to put it another way, many economists responded to stagflation by turning their backs on Keynesian economics and its call for government action to fight recessions.

At M.I.T., however, Keynes never went away. To be sure, stagflation showed that there were limits to what policy can do. But students continued to learn about the imperfections of markets and the role that monetary and fiscal policy can play in boosting a depressed economy.

And the M.I.T. students of the 1970s enlarged on those insights in their later work. Mr. Blanchard, for example, showed how small deviations from perfect rationality can have large economic consequences; Mr. Obstfeld showed that currency markets can sometimes experience self-fulfilling panic.

This open-minded, pragmatic approach was overwhelmingly vindicated after crisis struck in 2008. Chicago-school types warned incessantly that responding to the crisis by printing money and running deficits would lead to 70s-type stagflation, with soaring inflation and interest rates. But M.I.T. types predicted, correctly, that inflation and interest rates would stay low in a depressed economy, and that attempts to slash deficits too soon would deepen the slump.

The truth, although nobody will believe it, is that the economic analysis some of us learned at M.I.T. way back when has worked very, very well for the past seven years.

But has the intellectual success of M.I.T. economics led to comparable policy success? Unfortunately, the answer is no.

True, there have been some important monetary successes. The Fed, led by Mr. Bernanke, ignored right-wing pressure and threats — Rick Perry, as governor of Texas, went so far as to accuse him of treason — and pursued an aggressively expansionary policy that helped limit the damage from the financial crisis. In Europe, Mr. Draghi’s activism has been crucial to calming financial markets, probably saving the euro from collapse.

On other fronts, however, the M.I.T. gang’s good advice has been ignored. The I.M.F.’s research department, under Mr. Blanchard’s leadership, has done authoritative work on the effects of fiscal policy, demonstrating beyond any reasonable doubt that slashing spending in a depressed economy is a terrible mistake, and that attempts to reduce high levels of debt via austerity are self-defeating. But European politicians have slashed spending and demanded crippling austerity from debtors anyway.

Meanwhile, in the United States, Republicans have responded to the utter failure of free-market orthodoxy and the remarkably successful predictions of much-hated Keynesians by digging in even deeper, determined to learn nothing from experience.

In other words, being right isn’t necessarily enough to change the world. But it’s still better to be right than to be wrong, and M.I.T.-style economics, with its pragmatic openness to evidence, has been very right indeed.

Kenneth Rogoff Ben Bernanke IMF Research Conference Pum0xjaYsrJl.jpg
从左至右: Larry Summers, Oliver Blanchard, Ken Rogoff, Stanley Fischer, and Ben Bernanke at the IMF Research Conference (2014)
二维码

扫码加我 拉你入群

请注明:姓名-公司-职位

以便审核进群资格,未注明则拒绝

关键词:Paul Krugman KRUGMAN Rugman Paul MIT University countries 克鲁格曼 about

Towards a Prosopography of the MIT Economics Department.pdf

1.99 MB

文件损坏,不要下载。

回帖推荐

lwzxy 发表于36楼  查看完整内容

已有 1 人评分经验 收起 理由
xddlovejiao1314 + 100 精彩帖子

总评分: 经验 + 100   查看全部评分

本帖被以下文库推荐

沙发
wwqqer 在职认证  发表于 2015-8-1 02:24:00 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
想要随时跟踪最新好书,请点击头像下方“加关注”。关注成功后,查看这里即可:关注的帖子
[原创] 浅析动量因子(附带Matlab/SAS程序及经典文献85篇,免费
[原创] 如何复制对冲基金的成功?(hedge fund replication,附免费文献)
[原创] 对于目前流行的量化投资与smart beta策略的一些看法 (附免费文献10篇)

【阿尔法系列】Fama-French五因子模型!
【阿尔法系列】免费!A Practical Guide To Quantitative Portfolio Trading
【阿尔法系列】Intelligent Financial Portfolio Composition based on Evolutionary Computation Strategies

【经典教材系列】(资料汇总帖,附链接,持续添加中)
【大数据系列】(资料汇总帖,附链接,持续添加中)
【大师系列】(资料汇总帖,持续添加中)
【华尔街系列】(资料汇总帖,附链接,持续添加中)
【Wiley-Kolb金融系列】(资料汇总帖,附链接,持续添加中)

【国际政经系列】(资料汇总帖,附链接,持续添加中)
【2008金融危机必读系列】(资料汇总帖,附链接,持续添加中)
【畅销书系列】(资料汇总帖,附链接,持续添加中)
【查理芒格系列】Charlie Munger 推荐的20本书!(附链接)
【西蒙系列】跨学科旅行家: 赫伯特 西蒙 (Herbert Simon)资料汇总帖

《经济学人》2014年度最佳书单(附链接)
亚马逊2014年度最佳商业投资类图书(附链接)
2014年度英国《金融时报》最佳商业图书书单(附链接)
福布斯:史上最好的20条投资建议 The Best Investment Advice Of All Time (附链接)
资深业内人士推荐的10本交易书(附链接)Top Ten Trading Books I Have Read

金融危机畅销书作家Peter Schiff系列
比尔•盖茨最喜欢的商业书籍 (Bill Gates's Favorite Business Book)
【独家发布】比尔·盖茨推荐的九本书----希望有人能将它们(感谢olderp的热心帮助)
2015年最值得馆藏的20本商业图书(感谢chenyi112982的热心帮助)
经典中的经典!美国知名财经作家Jason Zweig投资入门书推荐!(附链接)

[专题系列]
大牛Paul Krugman:日本,对不起!
[专题系列] Barra模型-RiskMetrics (RMA)-PMA资料(持续更新)
[专题系列] 主动投资与被动投资(active vs. passive),到底哪个更厉害?(免费!)
[专题系列] 行为经济学 From “Economic Man” to Behavioral Economics

[专题系列] ECB 终于把名义利率降为负值了!(附重要文献11篇,免费)
[专题系列] Frameworks for Central Banking in the Next Century(最新文献9篇,免费)
[专题系列] Energy Derivatives Pricing (能源衍生品定价介绍,27篇文献,全部免费)
[专题系列] 福布斯杂志(Forbes)揭秘世界知名对冲基金AQR制胜交易策略!附带29篇文献

[专题系列] 有效市场假设(Efficient Market Hypothesis) :一场伟大的分歧!
[专题系列] 金融危机后,通胀目标(Inflation Targeting)是否仍然可行?
[专题系列] 非常规货币政策退出策略(Exit Strategy) 权威报告!
[专题系列] 回测过程中的过度拟合问题 (backtest overfitting,附最新文献2篇)
[专题系列] 做计量的朋友们,你们的标准误差(standard error)算对了吗?(附程序)

使用道具

藤椅
auirzxp 学生认证  发表于 2015-8-1 02:26:10 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
已有 1 人评分经验 收起 理由
长风神舞 + 8 精彩帖子

总评分: 经验 + 8   查看全部评分

使用道具

板凳
fengyg 企业认证  发表于 2015-8-1 06:45:59 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
kankan

使用道具

报纸
yanghaiting 发表于 2015-8-1 09:35:40 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
kkkkkkkkkkkkkk

使用道具

地板
briansh2010 发表于 2015-8-1 10:48:20 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
Thanks for sharing

使用道具

Crsky7 发表于 2015-8-1 11:26:03 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
上次在交大高金还有幸听过他的讲座,他说中美GDP的统计从头到脚都是科幻小说。。
已有 1 人评分经验 收起 理由
长风神舞 + 8 精彩帖子

使用道具

willy8216 发表于 2015-8-1 13:22:29 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
Thanks for sharingThanks for sharing
已有 1 人评分经验 收起 理由
长风神舞 + 8 精彩帖子

使用道具

hantaoah 发表于 2015-8-1 15:23:06 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
不错的

使用道具

Elena3 发表于 2015-8-1 17:10:41 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群

使用道具

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 我要注册

本版微信群
加好友,备注jr
拉您进交流群

京ICP备16021002-2号 京B2-20170662号 京公网安备 11010802022788号 论坛法律顾问:王进律师 知识产权保护声明   免责及隐私声明

GMT+8, 2024-4-24 22:18