搜索
人大经济论坛 经典文献» 浏览文献

Monitoring Corruption: Evidence from a Field Experiment in Indonesia

文献名称 Monitoring Corruption: Evidence from a Field Experiment in Indonesia
文献作者 Benjamin A. Olken
作者所在单位 Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) - Department of Economics; National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER); Harvard University - Society of Fellows
文献分类 已发表文献
学科一级分类 经济
学科二级分类 行为与实验经济学
文献摘要 This paper uses a randomized field experiment to examine several approaches to reducing corruption. I measure missing expenditures in over 600 village road projects in Indonesia by having engineers independently estimate the prices and quantities of all inputs used in each road, and then comparing these estimates to villages' official expenditure reports. I find that announcing an increased probability of a government audit, from a baseline of 4 percent to 100 percent, reduced missing expenditures by about 8 percentage points, more than enough to make these audits cost-effective. By contrast, I find that increasing grass-roots participation in the monitoring process only reduced missing wages, with no effect on missing materials expenditures. Since materials account for three-quarters of total expenditures, increasing grass-roots participation had little impact overall. The findings suggest that grass-roots monitoring may be subject to free-rider problems. Overall, the results suggest that traditional top-down monitoring can play an important role in reducing corruption, even in a highly corrupt environment.
参考文献
关键字 Monitoring Corruption,Field Experiment
发表所在刊物(或来源) NBER Working Paper No. W11753 ,November 2005
发表时间 November 2005
适用研究领域
评论
上传时间 2011-1-30 11:44
下载文献 corruptionexperiments.pdf[223.8 KB]
注:下载文献会消耗您一个“当日剩余下载次数”

会员评论

发表评论

京ICP备16021002-2号 京B2-20170662号 京公网安备 11010802022788号 论坛法律顾问:王进律师 知识产权保护声明   免责及隐私声明

GMT+8, 2024-4-25 11:42