应届毕业生专属福利!

求职就业群
赵安豆老师微信:zhaoandou666

经管之家联合CDA

送您一个全额奖学金名额~ !

感谢您参与论坛问题回答

经管之家送您两个论坛币!

+2 论坛币

刚才跟一个在芝加哥大学留学的计算机系同学聊天,他们系最受学生欢迎的一位assistant professor在associate tenure的考核中没有过关,只好准备离校。这位年轻助教授的科研能力毋庸置疑,他被拒绝的唯一原因是,他是一名应用型学者,而芝大是一所理论型学府。

在他的主页上,他这样介绍自己:

I primarily spend my time working on practical programming tools---usually aimed at solving problems related to whatever application I happen to be working on at the time.

这位助教授受欢迎到什么程度呢?

在他讲授的操作系统课上,和国内一样,学生们被要求填写课程测评表,国外叫course survey。不少同学这样回答问题:

"What do you not like about his class?"

--- He has no tenure.

"Please give your suggestions for improving the class"

-- Give Dave tenure.

Dave就是指这位助教授,David Beazley。

他的主页上,我还看到了他的离职感言,令人感喟心酸:

Leaving the University

In December, 2004, I was denied tenure by the University of Chicago. Although unfortunate, that outcome wasn't unexpected, unjust, or all that tragic. To be honest, I'm just not sure the ivory tower is the right place for a free-wheeling code slinger and aspiring "evildoer" like myself anyways--in fact, I'm pretty sure it's not. I don't really have any sour grapes to air about my University experience except to say that I tried it, but never really felt at ease in the rarified world of academia. If anything, I was never able to reconcile the isolation of the academic world with the fact that I've always done my best work while working on practical real-world problems. So, with my departure I'm hoping to get back to that kind of work (eventually).

A number of people have asked me about my future plans. Currently, I am planning to take a much-needed creative sabbatical that might last for a couple of years. During this time, I intend to pursue projects that I find interesting without regard for their practicality or profitability. For instance, I've recently been learning how to play jazz piano so I'll probably spend considerably more time woodshedding on that---you know, so I can play all sorts of wicked bebop lines and hang out in smoky jazz clubs. In addition, I'll probably be travelling around, skiing, and doing things like that. As for the long-term future, I haven't made any specific plans although I'm certainly open to ideas ;-).

I'd just like to wish the best of luck to all of my former students. May you always find the courage and strength to follow your muse--no matter where it might lead you.

-- Dave

又看到他附的两张图片,不禁悲从中来。

document.body.clientWidth*0.5) {this.resized=true;this.width=document.body.clientWidth*0.5;this.style.cursor='pointer';} else {this.onclick=null}" alt="" />

Hey, maybe I could be an "associate" here....

document.body.clientWidth*0.5) {this.resized=true;this.width=document.body.clientWidth*0.5;this.style.cursor='pointer';} else {this.onclick=null}" alt="" />

Dave, getting his academic groove on... uh, yeah...

二维码

扫码加我 拉你入群

请注明:姓名-公司-职位

以便审核进群资格,未注明则拒绝

关键词:国外大学 interesting Suggestions Programming Application 大学 国外 竞争 终身 教职

与其平淡地活着,不如用死亡搏一次无法遗忘的传说。
baiming 发表于 2005-2-23 15:20:00 |显示全部楼层 |坛友微信交流群
Maybe he can get tenure in another school.

使用道具

leexiong73 发表于 2005-2-24 15:11:00 |显示全部楼层 |坛友微信交流群
It's very hard indeed,but he is sure to find a suitable place.I knew something about this in professor Tian guoqiang's autobiography.
莫听穿林打叶声,何妨吟啸且徐行。竹杖芒鞋轻胜马,谁怕?一蓑烟

使用道具

fagj 发表于 2005-2-24 15:39:00 |显示全部楼层 |坛友微信交流群

干什么都不容易,在那都不好混

使用道具

yangtao110 发表于 2005-4-12 21:27:00 |显示全部楼层 |坛友微信交流群
too much grammer mistakes , I doubt whether he is capable of the position

使用道具

playboy22 发表于 2005-4-15 08:55:00 |显示全部楼层 |坛友微信交流群

同情

感觉搂住帖子的标题与内容不打对称噢

经济政策——这是政府的盾牌,用来招架由于总统或总理的低能而以攻为守的拳打脚踢。

使用道具

乘风雪刀 发表于 2005-4-20 22:24:00 |显示全部楼层 |坛友微信交流群

what does he want?

if he wants to be a professor,he should make progress to attend the standard .

不过,此处不留人,自有留人处,也别太伤心了。

使用道具

200608 发表于 2009-4-20 19:16:00 |显示全部楼层 |坛友微信交流群
公平竞争即是残酷也比黑好

使用道具

情深深 发表于 2009-4-21 09:31:00 |显示全部楼层 |坛友微信交流群
到中国来吧。至少给十几万的年薪,

使用道具

学生的评价和学术评价是不一样的。
很多硕士毕业的大学老师,讲课非常受学生欢迎,可是科研不行啊。

使用道具

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 我要注册

本版微信群
加好友,备注ddjd
拉您入交流群

京ICP备16021002-2号 京B2-20170662号 京公网安备 11010802022788号 论坛法律顾问:王进律师 知识产权保护声明   免责及隐私声明

GMT+8, 2024-3-29 16:51