经管之家联合CDA

送您一个全额奖学金名额~ !

感谢您参与论坛问题回答

经管之家送您两个论坛币!

+2 论坛币
        Business Metadata                       
Capturing Enterprise Knowledge               
                Copyright © 2008 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved        

Author(s): W.H. Inmon, Bonnie O'Neil and Lowell Fryman                                 Business Metadata: Capturing Enterprise Knowledge
ISBN: 978-0-12-373726-7
By
  • William Inmon, Inmon Data Systems, Castle Rock, CO, USA
  • Bonnie O'Neil, Project Performance Corporation, Denver, CO, USA
  • Lowell Fryman, VIP LLC, Denver, CO, USA
                                People have a hard time communicating, and also have a hard time finding business knowledge in the environment. With the sophistication of search technologies like Google, business people expect to be able to get their questions answered about the business just like you can do an internet search. The truth is, knowledge management is primitive today, and it is due to the fact that we have poor business metadata management. This book is about all the groundwork necessary for IT to really support the business properly. By providing not just data, but the context behind the data. For the IT professional, it will be tactically practical--very "how to" and a detailed approach to implementing best practices supporting knowledge management. And for the the IT or other manager who needs a guide for creating and justifying projects, it will help provide a strategic map.

Audience
The market includes IT professionals, including those in consulting, working on systems that will deliver better knowledge management capability. This includes people in these positions: data architects; data analysts, SOA architects; metadata analysts, repository (metadata data warehouse) managers. Also, vendors that have a metadata component as part of their systems or tools.

Contents               
                                        Business Metadata The Quest for Business Understanding Section I: Rationale and Planning1. What is Business Metadata a. What is Metadata?i. A brief history of metadataii. Types of Metadata1. Technical2. Business3. Structured versus Unstructured MDb. What is Business MD?i. Some examples and usagec. When does data become MD?d. Who are the users of business metadata?e. A grid of metadata f. Business metadata and reference files2. The Value and Benefits of Business Metadata a. Metadata Provides Context: i. Example: the number "42"ii. The road sign analogyiii. The library card catalog analogyb. Business Metadata Provides Historical Perspectivec. Contextual Benefits in Analytical Processingi. Simple Reportsii. Drill Downsiii. Exception Reportingiv. Heuristic Analysisv. KPI Analysisvi. Multivariate Analysisvii. Pattern Analysisviii. Spreadsheetsix. Screensd. Hidden MDe. The Information Supply Chain i. The Business Feedback Loop3. Who is responsible for Business Metadata? a. Who Has the Most to Gain from Business Metadata?b. Stewardship versus Ownershipc. Business versus Technical Ownershipd. Is Stewardship of Business Metadata any different?i. Data Stewardshipii. Metadata Stewardshipiii. Business Metadata Stewardshipe. Stewardship Challengesf. Why should MD be funded? (Bill)i. How and why should business metadata be funded1. The business case for business metadataii. The search process – from a visceral standpoint1. Follow up from Subsequent Chapter2. The end user buying departmental tools3. The technician buying a repositoryiii. Blending everything together – a combined approachiv. Life without an organized approach to business metadatav. Funding Models1. Should MD be funded by ROI?2. What are the funding options (LOB or centralized IT, usage or overhead)?vi. Funding a Corporate Knowledge Base4. Business Metadata, Communication and Search (BKO) a. The need for better communicationb. Faulty communication causes bad business practicesc. Much time is lost in the organization due to not being able to find thingsi. Losing Your Car Keys Analogyd. The need for structured definitionse. The Role of Taxonomies5. OUT; this chapter rolled into Stewardship Section II: How-To6. How do you initiate a MD project? a. What are the options?b. Planning Guidelinesi. Examples in MSProject c. Defining the Business Metadata Strategy and Goals i. Strategy & Goals: Business Focusii. Strategy & Goals: Technical Focusd. Complete enterprise strategy & goalse. Constructing a Strategic Planf. Examples in MSWord 7. Technology Infrastructure for Metadataa. MD Modeling and Design (CWM and OMG)i. Special Challenges of Business Metadatab. What does business metadata integration entail?i. Similarity to a data warehousec. Should be treated like a data warehouse projectd. Buy versus Build Alternativese. Centralized MD Implementationi. Federatedii. Repositoryf. Distributed MD Implementationg. Hybrid MD Implementationh. ETL for business metadatai. Semantic integration8. Business Metadata Capture a. Business MD scopei. Vulcan mind meldii. Intro to Unstructured MDiii. Business Rulesiv. Definitionsv. Domainsb. Business Metadata Capture from Technical MD i. Enterprise Model layerii. Conceptual Model layeriii. Logical Model layeriv. Physical Model layerc. Special Challenges of Business Metadatai. Capturing knowledge from Business Peopled. Capturing knowledge from Individualse. Capturing knowledge from Groupsi. The Socialization Factorii. Wikis and Collabsf. PR: Encouraging and Incentivizingg. Special Stewardship Approachesi. Proactive vs. Reactiveii. "Governance Lite"8.5 Business Metadata Capture from Existing Data 8.5.1 Technical Sources of MD8.5.1.1 ERP8.5.1.2 Reports8.5.1.3 Spreadsheets8.5.1.4 Documents8.5.1.5 DBMS system catalogs8.5.1.6 OLAP8.5.1.7 ETL8.5.1.8 Legacy System8.5.1.9 Data Warehouse8.5.2 Editing the metadata as it passes into the metadata repository8.5.2.1 Automation of the editing8.5.3 Granularizing metadata8.5.4 Expanding definitions & descriptions8.5.5 Synonym resolution8.5.6 Homonym Resolution8.5.7 Manual Metadata editing8.5.8 Turning Technical MD into Business MD9. MD Data Delivery a. Avoid Roach Motelb. Who are users? How do you deliver it?c. Active vs. Passive Delivery d. MD & DWe. MD & Martsf. MD & Operational Systemsg. Example: Corporate GlossarySection III: Special Categories of Business MD9.5 Data Quality a. Why is data quality business metadata?b. Purpose of Data Qualityc. Using a Data Quality Methodologyd. Expressing data quality into the language of the business10. Semantics & Ontologies a. Semantics: The study of meaningb. Semantic frameworksi. Controlled Vocabularyii. Taxonomyiii. Ontologyiv. Chart showing Semantic Richnessc. Semantics and Business Metadatad. Semantics and Technologyi. The Semantic Webii. SOAiii. Other toolsiv. Standards: OWL etce. Making semantics practicalf. Two different usesi. Glossaries/CVii. Searchg. Simple implementations11. Unstructured MD a. Characteristics of Unstructured business metadatab. Where unstructured business metadata residesi. Reportsii. Spreadsheetsiii. Text filesiv. emailc. Examples of unstructured business metadatad. Plucking business metadata outi. An example of finding business metadata in unstructured datae. Relationships among unstructured business metadata objectsi. Familialii. Hierarchyf. Using Unstructured business metadatai. Business metadata and understanding unstructured documentsii. Theming documents using business metadatag. Industrial recognized lists as a basis for understanding documentsh. Linguisticsi. Marrying structured & unstructured data12. Business Rules a. Why business rules are a type of business metadatab. Business rules and their role in managing the businessc. Where do you find business rules?d. Purpose for managing them as metadatae. Business Rules and Rule Engine technologyf. Business Rules and the Repository13. Metadata & Compliance a. Compliance – the issuesb. Financial compliancec. Communications complianced. Types of compliancei. Sarbanes Oxleyii. Basel IIiii. HIPAAiv. Patriot Acte. How do you use MD to find compliance data?f. Using business metadata i. As a screen—Finding blather ii. To classify transactionsiii. As a means to determine criticalityg. Creating the historical recordi. Preparing for the audit using business metadatah. An example of business metadata during the compliance processi. Document Retention and Compliancei. Document Retention issuesii. Maintenance of email, iii. Email as a knowledge base & the problems it creates14. Knowledge Management and Business Metadata a. Intersection of Business Metadata and Knowledge Managementb. Knowledge Management in Practicei. Knowledge Captureii. Knowledge Disseminationc. Explicit and Tacit Knowledged. Building Intellectual capital and the Corporate Knowledgebasee. Social Issuesi. Impact of collaboration on Knowledgeii. Graying of the WorkforceSection IV: Putting it All Together15. Summary a. Business Metadata is importantb. Business Metadata has been ignored in general discussions of metadatac. Lessons learned in the fieldd. /What does the future hold?e. Trendsf. ResourcesAppendix:A: MD Repository Buy Methodology (Sample project plan)B: MD Repository Build Methodology (Sample project plan)C: glossary of terms (the metadata)

Business Metadata_ Capturing Enterprise Knowledge.pdf (6.53 MB, 需要: 5 个论坛币)

二维码

扫码加我 拉你入群

请注明:姓名-公司-职位

以便审核进群资格,未注明则拒绝

关键词:Enterprise Capturing knowledge Business Metadata Capturing Enterprise Knowledge Copyright knowledge

本帖被以下文库推荐

I am looking for a talent scout who may appreciate me...

>>>>>>>生产和运营管理<<<<<<<
沙发
kingmuro 发表于 2013-2-9 23:09:53 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
没钱买,如果能共享就好了

使用道具

藤椅
olderp 发表于 2013-9-17 08:07:46 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
业务元数据:捕捉企业知识

使用道具

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 我要注册

本版微信群
加JingGuanBbs
拉您进交流群

京ICP备16021002-2号 京B2-20170662号 京公网安备 11010802022788号 论坛法律顾问:王进律师 知识产权保护声明   免责及隐私声明

GMT+8, 2024-4-28 01:48