+2 论坛币
书名 The Purchasing Power of Money
作者  Yale University  Irving Fisher
发表时间  1911年
语言 英语
页数  550
文件大小  11.4M
第一版前言
THE purpose of this book is to set forth the principles determining the purchasing power of money and to apply those principles to the study of historical changes in that purchasing power, including in particular the recent change in "the cost of living," which has aroused world-wide discussion.
If the principles here advocated are correct, the purchasing power of money—or its reciprocal, the level of prices—depends exclusively on five definite factors: (1) the volume of money in circulation; (2) its velocity of circulation; (3) the volume of bank deposits subject to check; (4) its velocity; and (5) the volume of trade. Each of these five magnitudes is extremely definite, and their relation to the purchasing power of money is definitely expressed by an "equation of exchange." In my opinion, the branch of economics which treats of these five regulators of purchasing power ought to be recognized and ultimately will be recognized as an exact science, capable of precise formulation, demonstration, and statistical verification.
The main contentions of this book are at bottom simply a restatement and amplification of the old "quantity theory" of money. With certain corrections in the usual statements of that theory, it may still be called fundamentally sound. What has long been needed is a candid reëxamination and revision of that venerable theory rather than its repudiation.
Yet in the voluminous literature on money, there seems to be very little that approaches accurate formulation and rigorous demonstration,—whether theoretical or statistical.
In making this attempt at reconstruction, I have the satisfaction of finding myself for once a conservative rather than a radical in economic theory. It has seemed to me a scandal that academic economists have, through outside clamor, been led into disagreements over the fundamental propositions concerning money. This is due to the confusion in which the subject has been thrown by reason of the political controversies with which it has become entangled.
As some one has said, it would seem that even the theorems of Euclid would be challenged and doubted if they should be appealed to by one political party as against another. At any rate, since the "quantity theory" has become the subject of political dispute, it has lost prestige and has even come to be regarded by many as an exploded fallacy. The attempts by promoters of unsound money to make an improper use of the quantity theory—as in the first Bryan campaign—led many sound money men to the utter repudiation of the quantity theory. The consequence has been that, especially in America, the quantity theory needs to be reintroduced into general knowledge.
Besides aiming to set forth the principles affecting the purchasing power of money, this book aims to illustrate and verify those principles by historical facts and statistics. In particular, the recent rise in prices is examined in detail and traced to its several causes.
The study of the principles and facts concerning the purchasing power of money is of far more than academic interest. Such questions affect the welfare of every in habitant of the civilized world. At each turn of the tide of prices, millions of persons are benefited and other millions are injured.
For a hundred years the world has been suffering from periodic changes in the level of prices, producing alternate crises and depressions of trade. Only by knowledge, both of the principles and of the facts involved, can such fluctuations in future be prevented or mitigated, and only by such knowledge can the losses which they entail be avoided or reduced. It is not too much to say that the evils of a variable monetary standard are among the most serious economic evils with which civilization has to deal; and the practical problem of finding a solution of the difficulty is of international extent and importance. I have proposed, very tentatively, a remedy for the evils of monetary instability. But the time is not yet ripe for the acceptance of any working plan. What is at present most needed is a clear and general public understanding of principles and facts.
Toward such an end this book aims to contribute:—
  • 1. A reconstruction of the quantity theory.
  • 2. A discussion of the best form of index number.
  • 3. Some mechanical methods of representing visually the determination of the level of prices.
  • 4. A practical method of estimating the velocity of circulation of money.
  • 5. The ascertainment statistically of the bank deposits in the United States which are subject to check, as distinct from "individual deposits," as usually published.
  • 6. An improved statistical evaluation of the volume of trade, as well as of the remaining elements in the equation of exchange.
  • 7. A thorough statistical verification of the (reconstructed) quantity theory of money.
As it is quite impossible to do justice to some of these subjects without the use of mathematics, these have been freely introduced, but have been relegated, so far as possible, to Appendices. This plan, which is in accordance with that previously adopted in The Nature of Capital and Income and The Rate of Interest, leaves the text almost wholly nonmathematical.
Most of the statistical results review and confirm the conclusions of Professor Kemmerer in his valuable Money and Credit Instruments in their Relation to General Prices, which appeared while the present book was in course of construction. I am greatly indebted to Professor Kemmerer for reading the entire manuscript and for much valuable criticism throughout.
My thanks are due to Professor F. Y. Edgeworth of All Souls' College, Oxford, and to Professor A. W. Flux of Manchester for kindly looking through the manuscript of the Appendix on index numbers and for suggestions and criticisms.
To Dr. A. Piatt Andrew, now Assistant Secretary of the Treasury, my thanks are due for his kindness, as Special Assistant to the National Monetary Commission, in putting the resources of that Commission at my disposal, and in working out, from the records of the office of the Comptroller of the Currency, the volume of deposits subject to check at various dates in the past. For coöperation in carrying out these same calculations, I am likewise indebted to Mr. Lawrence O. Murray, Comptroller of the Currency. These valuable figures are the first of their kind.
To Mr. Gilpin of the New York Clearing House, my thanks are due for his kindness in furnishing various figures asked for and cited specifically in the text.
To Mr. Richard M. Hurd, President of the Lawyers Mortgage Co., I am indebted for reading parts of the manuscript and for valuable criticism.
To Mr. John O. Perrin, President of the American National Bank of Indianapolis, I am indebted for statistics of the "activity" of bank accounts in his bank, and for similar figures I am indebted to the officers of the National New Haven Bank and the City Bank of New Haven.
My thanks are due to the Economic Journal for permission to use unaltered some parts of my article on "The Mechanics of Bimetallism," which first appeared in that journal in 1894.
My thanks are due to the Journal of the Royal Statistical Society for similar permission with reference to my article on "A Practical Method for estimating the Velocity of Circulation of Money," which appeared in December, 1909.
A number of my students have rendered valuable service in gathering and coördinating statistics. I would especially mention Mr. Seimin Inaoka, Mr. Morgan Porter, Mr. N. S. Fineberg, Mr. W. E. Lagerquist, now instructor at Cornell University, Messrs. G. S. and L. A. Dole, Dr. John Bauer, now assistant professor at Cornell University, Dr. John Kerr Towles, now instructor at the University of Illinois, Dr. A. S. Field, now instructor at Dartmouth College, Mr. A. G. Boesel, Mr. W. F. Hickernell, Mr. Yasuyiro Hayakawa, Mr. Chester A. Phillips, and Mr. R. N. Griswold. Mr. Griswold performed the lengthy calculations involved in ascertaining an index of the volume of trade.
There are two persons to whom I am more indebted than to any others. These are my brother, Mr. Herbert W. Fisher, and my colleague, Dr. Harry G. Brown.
To my brother my thanks are due for a most searching criticism of the whole book from the standpoint of pedagogical exposition, and to Mr. Brown for general criticism and suggestions as well as for detailed work throughout. In recognition of Mr. Brown's assistance, I have placed his name on the title-page.

IRVING FISHER.

• YALE UNIVERSITY,

February, 1911.

章节目录

本帖隐藏的内容

The-Purchasing-Power-of-Money.pdf (11.45 MB, 需要: 5 个论坛币)

二维码

扫码加我 拉你入群

请注明:姓名-公司-职位

以便审核进群资格,未注明则拒绝

关键词:Fisher 美国经济学家 irving Irvin 欧文·费雪 诺贝尔奖 购买力 英文

已有 1 人评分论坛币 收起 理由
日新少年 + 80 补偿

总评分: 论坛币 + 80   查看全部评分

冬眠......请在春天来的时候叫醒我.....
沙发
Sunknownay 发表于 2013-9-6 15:23:24 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
贵网友,你好!欧文·费雪(Irving Fisher)在1947年就已经去世(该年萨缪尔森获克拉克奖,23年后成为美国第一位诺贝尔经济学奖获得者),早于1969年诺贝尔经济学奖第一届颁奖时间。
PS:对于资料出售帖,建议最好不要使用回复可见功能。
穷则独善其身,达则兼济天下。

使用道具

藤椅
Jessymannheim 发表于 2013-9-6 15:25:15 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
Sunknownay 发表于 2013-9-6 15:23
贵网友,你好!欧文·费雪(Irving Fisher)在1947年就已经去世(该年萨缪尔森获克拉克奖,23年后成为美国第 ...
你好,谢谢更正!
不用回复,帖子2小时就沉下去了,怎么办?
   冬眠......请在春天来的时候叫醒我.....

使用道具

板凳
Sunknownay 发表于 2013-9-6 15:27:26 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
Jessymannheim 发表于 2013-9-6 15:25
你好,谢谢更正!
不用回复,帖子2小时就沉下去了,怎么办?
是否回帖与购买需要由网友自行决定,而回复可见功能会造成许多不必要的灌水回复,因而论坛不鼓励使用回复可见功能。
穷则独善其身,达则兼济天下。

使用道具

报纸
JohnMason2013 发表于 2013-9-7 01:30:36 来自手机 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
看看

使用道具

地板
Enthuse 发表于 2013-9-7 01:57:51 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
let me see see...thx..

使用道具

yangguangzhilv 发表于 2013-9-7 23:52:52 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
see see

使用道具

shikx 发表于 2013-9-7 23:58:54 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
谢谢

使用道具

sunnygarden2001 发表于 2013-9-8 06:19:07 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群

使用道具

谢谢

使用道具

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 我要注册

本版微信群
加JingGuanBbs
拉您进交流群

京ICP备16021002-2号 京B2-20170662号 京公网安备 11010802022788号 论坛法律顾问:王进律师 知识产权保护声明   免责及隐私声明

GMT+8, 2024-4-28 02:29