求职就业群
赵安豆老师微信:zhaoandou666

经管之家联合CDA

送您一个全额奖学金名额~ !

感谢您参与论坛问题回答

经管之家送您两个论坛币!

+2 论坛币
A Brief Dialogue on Behavioral Economics

The Importance of Framing the Issue Properly...

(Even though I was a major participant in this dialogue, it was several years ago. So I have followed the historical methodology of Thucydides: I have written as if each participant said what was appropriate and fitting for the situation, all the while staying as close as possible to the words actually said.)

Time: A warm spring evening at the height of the tech boom.

Place: A chi-chi downtown Palo Alto restaurant.

Stanford Professor and Hoover Institution Fellow Robert Hall: And now for the wine?

Berkeley Professor Brad DeLong: (Looks at wine list.) I'd rather not. They look too expensive for what they are.

Hall: But I'm paying. The Stanford macro seminar is paying.

DeLong: So?

Hall: I'm the one who should be worrying about that, not you. Go ahread and order.

DeLong: Why can't I worry about it?

Hall: Because you're not paying. The price is irrelevant as far as you're concerned. It's all free to you.

DeLong: It's free to me in the sense that buying it doesn't diminish my future opportunities to buy other things. But there's another sense in which it is not free.

Hall: And that would be?

DeLong: We'll order it. We'll start drinking it. I'll think about how we paid three times retail. I'll think about how the restauranteur has taken advantage of his local monopoly power to charge us far more than the market equilibrium value of the wine. I'll feel exploited... taken advantage of.... And the wine will taste like ashes in my mouth.

Hall: You're insane!

DeLong: Possibly.

Hall: Some of these are very, very good.

DeLong: But I won't enjoy them.

Hall: You shouldn't think about how much it cost while you drink it!

DeLong: Are you saying that I shouldn't have the preference function I happen to have?

Hall: I tell you what. Look at this guy. (He gestures to the restauranteur.) Eighty percent of Palo Alto restaurants fail within three years.

DeLong: Yes?

Hall: This guy is working 18 hours a day and sinking his life savings into this enterprise. Yet he's very very poor because he's very likely to go bust and bankrupt.

DeLong: Yes?

Hall: You have the opportunity to transfer some wealth to him, to make him better off, and in the process drink a very very nice bottle of wine.

DeLong: And I should make this transfer because?

Hall: The money transferred comes straight out of the Hoover Institution endowment. Think what else it would be used for, if not to assist a struggling Palo Alto entrepreneur.

DeLong: I see...

Hall: As an ex-Clinton Administration Senior Treasury Official, I think your duty here is clear. You have a strong and unavoidable moral duty to choose a bottle of wine for us to drink...

DeLong: That is a strong point...

Hall: An expensive bottle of wine...

DeLong: I surrender...

Hall: Two expensive bottles of wine...

Posted by DeLong at March 8, 2003 08:45 AM | TrackBack http://www.j-bradford-delong.net/movable_type/2003_archives/001140.html
二维码

扫码加我 拉你入群

请注明:姓名-公司-职位

以便审核进群资格,未注明则拒绝

关键词:behavioral Economics Economic Dialogue Behavior Economics behavioral Brief Dialogue

面对渐渐忘却历史的人们,我一直尽力呼喊!
沙发
一刹春 发表于 2004-8-1 11:14:00 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群

哈哈,很搞笑的段子,为什么没人顶呢?!

有一个噱头没看懂,“ex-Clinton Administration Senior Treasury Official”,他的意思是讲克林顿是自由市场经济的倡导者,所以财富再分配的道德责任不存在?

与其平淡地活着,不如用死亡搏一次无法遗忘的传说。

使用道具

藤椅
sylvia 发表于 2004-8-1 16:49:00 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
幽默幽默
志不求易,事不避难。

使用道具

板凳
luke 发表于 2004-8-2 09:39:00 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群

hehe

焚我残躯,熊熊圣火,生亦何欢?死亦何苦? 为善除恶,唯光明故。喜乐悲愁,皆归尘土。 怜我世人,忧患实多!怜我世人,忧患实多!

使用道具

报纸
闲人 发表于 2004-8-2 14:47:00 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
按照范里安的《微观经济学-现代观点》对福利经济学第一和第二定理的解释,自由竞争市场下资源的配置效应和再分配效应可以分离。
面对渐渐忘却历史的人们,我一直尽力呼喊!

使用道具

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 我要注册

本版微信群
加JingGuanBbs
拉您进交流群

京ICP备16021002-2号 京B2-20170662号 京公网安备 11010802022788号 论坛法律顾问:王进律师 知识产权保护声明   免责及隐私声明

GMT+8, 2024-5-9 00:01