请选择 进入手机版 | 继续访问电脑版
搜索
人大经济论坛 经典文献» 浏览文献

How Do Sex Ratios Affect Marriage And Labor Markets? Evidence From America'S Second Generation

文献名称 How Do Sex Ratios Affect Marriage And Labor Markets? Evidence From America'S Second Generation
文献作者 Joshua Angrist
作者所在单位 MIT and IZA, Bonn
文献分类 已发表文献
学科一级分类 经济
学科二级分类 发展经济学
文献摘要 Sex ratios, i.e., relative numbers of men and women, can affect marriage prospects, labor force participation, and other social and economic variables. But the observed association between sex ratios and social and economic conditions may be confounded by omitted variables and reverse causality. This paper uses variation in immigrant flows as a natural experiment to study the effect of sex ratios on the children and grandchildren of immigrants. The flow of immigrants affected the second-generation marriage market because second-generation marriages were mostly endogamous, i.e., to members of the same ethnic group. The empirical results suggest that high sex ratios had a large positive effect on the likelihood of female marriage, and a large negative effect on female labor force participation. Perhaps surprisingly, the marriage rates of second-generation men appear to be a slightly increasing function of immigrant sex ratios. Higher sex ratios also appear to have raised male earnings and the incomes of parents with young children. The empirical results are broadly consistent with theories where higher sex ratios increase female bargaining power in the marriage market. "There's a shortage of men, so [the men] think, 'I can have more than one woman. I'm gonna go around to this one or that one, and I'm gonna have two or three of them." (A single Philadelphia mother describes her local marriage market; quoted in Edin [2000]). "Every day I meet someone better. I am waiting for the best." (A female Moroccan immigrant describes her local marriage market; quoted in Rodriguez [2000]).
参考文献
关键字 Household and family models, immigration, family structure
发表所在刊物(或来源) Quarterly Journal of Economics, 2002, vol. 117, issue 3, pages 997-1038
发表时间 2002
适用研究领域
评论
上传时间 2011-1-24 10:48
下载文献 dp368.pdf[509.94 KB]
注:下载文献会消耗您一个“当日剩余下载次数”

会员评论

发表评论

京ICP备16021002-2号 京B2-20170662号 京公网安备 11010802022788号 论坛法律顾问:王进律师 知识产权保护声明   免责及隐私声明

GMT+8, 2024-3-29 03:35