经管之家送您两个论坛币!

+2 论坛币
每天给大家更新专栏的楼主,絮絮叨叨→ 【非大牛,没时间,如何水到渠成学英语

前三天的文章应该都是美国人所写,今天的文章来自Monocle,作者讲自己对于香水沉迷的故事,句子很英国~

SMELLS LIKE MIDDLE-AGED SPIRIT

5 February 2014
Paul Noble

p1439208410.jpg

Paul Noble is a producer for Monocle 24.

M24’s Paul Noble isn’t getting any younger so he’s decided it’s time for a more mature set of hobbies – which explains why the Monocle office just got a lot more musky.

This is a tale of obsession. It’s a common story: as a man approaches middle age he puts away childish things and takes a more refined and serious approach to(take approach to,接近) his leisure activities.

For some, the golf course beckons(诱惑、吸引。这个词好英伦). For others, the single malt(单一麦芽酒,后面可以加威士忌什么的), the sous-vide(真空烹饪) machine, the roar of a motorbike or hours spent under the tattooist’s needle is the only way to scratch the itch. Friends have confronted their mortality(死亡率,生命的有限性,这里大家就意义一点就OK了) by picking up the cocktail shaker, plucking a banjo(班卓琴,长得有点像冬不拉。情人节那天更新的最新一期The Big Bang Theory里,Sheldon也提到了这个) or adopting a preposterously(毫无道理地,形容词preposterous大家都熟悉了~) technical approach to brewing coffee.

Me, I chose perfume.

It started out as an innocuous(无害的,nocuous是有害的) time-wasting exercise a few years ago. With a nonchalant(毫不关心的) spray of Terre d'Hermès in the duty-free lounge of Heathrow I casually thought, “Maybe it’s time to update my aroma.”

Some reading revealed the fragrance was created by Jean-Claude Ellena, the reclusive(隐遁的、隐士的) nose now resident at Hermès and living in solitude by the edge of a forest with only his assistant to keep track of the micro-adjustments(微量调整) necessary for creating a great perfume.

Ellena is a master of the subtle alchemy(魔力、炼金术) of blending numerous ingredients in fractionally(一点点的,少许的。fraction是分数、小数、少量的意思) shifting proportions to create a fragrance that is simultaneously(同时的,比如同声传译是simultaneous interpretation) satisfying, evocative(唤起感情的) and magical. I tried another one of his juices. It was good. Before long, I would naturally gravitate to(gravity是地心引力的意思。这个词组好形象~) the fragrance counter in an airport or department store for “research”.

As any enthusiast will tell you, the high and light notes(这里指的是香水的气味,用note,很形象) of a summer scent wear off quickly. What to wear in the depths of a London winter? Ungaro’s elegant pour L’Homme III, the rose-heavy killer? Maybe Mark Birley for Men, originally created as an exclusive scent for members of Birley’s private club Annabel’s? Or Lalique’s Encre Noire, the gothic monster with notes of ink, burnt wood and vetiver(岩兰草)? Perhaps Byredo’s psychedelic(迷幻剂) and futuristic(未来派的,未来主义的) 1996?

It wasn’t long before I was headlong(be headlong,直率的,直冲的) into the world of the fragrance obsessive: vintage batches(传统老牌风格的,batch是一炉一批的意思), reformulations(改良类的), blind buys(估计指的是不闻直接买,求解), samples, splits(依照下文的意思,应该是香水爱好者之间分香水。split是分割的意思) and furtive(鬼鬼祟祟的) conversations about sillage(以厘计算的税率) and dry down(香水的基调) with like-minded(志趣相投的) “fumeheads”(熔丝头,此处只香水爱好者。有个网站叫www.fumehead.com) in the office. I was sneaking bottles back home and hiding them in sock drawers. I even Googled Galbanum(白松香). It turned out I wasn’t alone in my habit.这段就写作者痴迷上香水之后有多疯狂,还遇到了很多志同道合的爱好者们。

Within months I’d gone from a novice(新手。novice是不是从法语来的?) to a snob(附庸风雅之徒,势利小人). I turned my nose up at Tom Ford’s Tuscan Leather, a scent so ubiquitous(处处可见的。ubiquity是普遍存在的意思) even Canadian rapper Drake sings(Drake的歌Tuscan Leather) its praises on his most recent album. I briefly toyed with(玩弄,不是很认真的考虑) the idea of a private blend – and swiftly abandoned it when the cost became clear.

As with all addictions you never conquer it, you merely try to keep it under control from day to day. With an overflowing(overflow是满溢的意思) bathroom cupboard with notes of resin(松脂,松香), musk(麝香), spice, flowers, earthy(泥土的) minerals, winter warmers(貌似指的是冬季用的一种复方精油,可以让手脚暖和。也有说是麦酒,估计还是说的精油) and lemony summer refreshers, I’m done. Well, maybe just one more, but that’s it.

二维码

扫码加我 拉你入群

请注明:姓名-公司-职位

以便审核进群资格,未注明则拒绝

关键词:Middle Spirit aged like CLE English decided getting hobbies leisure

已有 1 人评分经验 论坛币 学术水平 热心指数 信用等级 收起 理由
reduce_fat + 20 + 10 + 2 + 2 + 2 奖励积极上传好的资料

总评分: 经验 + 20  论坛币 + 10  学术水平 + 2  热心指数 + 2  信用等级 + 2   查看全部评分

沙发
gssdzc 在职认证  发表于 2014-2-19 12:49:16 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
Keeping

使用道具

藤椅
20110102 发表于 2014-2-26 15:23:19 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
真是篇迷人的文章~

使用道具

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 我要注册

本版微信群
加JingGuanBbs
拉您进交流群

京ICP备16021002-2号 京B2-20170662号 京公网安备 11010802022788号 论坛法律顾问:王进律师 知识产权保护声明   免责及隐私声明

GMT+8, 2024-4-30 18:57