应届毕业生专属福利!

求职就业群
赵安豆老师微信:zhaoandou666

经管之家联合CDA

送您一个全额奖学金名额~ !

感谢您参与论坛问题回答

经管之家送您两个论坛币!

+2 论坛币

Continue my previous posted海外留学续谈贴子。Thebelow introduces some expenses I have learned when I have studied at businessschools in the U.S. This贴子just emphasize the importance to have healthyrelationship with your PHD program advisor and professors teaching PHD classes.Some professors are professional at the university in the U.S., but not all.Some professors can be very sensitive and very personal (小气,小心眼),which is very surprising. This phenomenon is even worse in top schools. I haveheard and known some students offended their professors just because thestudents did not speak in a way the professors like. Some students ended up havingto quit their PHD programs just right before graduate after 5-6 years hardwork; some have been persecuted for years; some have been innocent victims of theirfighting professors. Of course, some are very lucky and are able to stay awayfrom all of these troubles. Then, the question is how we can avoid such kind ofproblem?

My experiences told me that I can do few things to mitigatesuch kind problem if no eliminate it. First of all, try to stay away professors’fighting. It is never be a good idea to involve professors’ business beforegraduate. Second, try to make professors feel smart and happy by flatteringthem or asking some questions that make them feel they are very smart. Third,better not say anything if no sure how to say or answer a question because wecan’t withdraw our words if we already spoke out. Fourth, try to make goodrelationship with colleagues. I would rather stay away from them or say verylittle if I do not think I can make friends with them, while try to be polite.

Good luck!  

二维码

扫码加我 拉你入群

请注明:姓名-公司-职位

以便审核进群资格,未注明则拒绝

关键词:海外留学 relationship Professional Experiences PROFESSORS university personal previous 海外留学 schools

已有 2 人评分经验 论坛币 学术水平 热心指数 信用等级 收起 理由
lagmei + 1 + 1 + 1 观点有启发
xrym + 100 + 8 I am encouraging people to discuss in En

总评分: 经验 + 100  论坛币 + 8  学术水平 + 1  热心指数 + 1  信用等级 + 1   查看全部评分

沙发
xiaofang1hao 发表于 2014-8-21 12:26:02 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
{:2_29:}

使用道具

藤椅
shirley923 发表于 2014-9-6 23:59:18 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
Thank you for your responses. Still learning. Speaking good English is not enough for a person who work in academic. Speaking right and excellent English is the goal. Good luck.

使用道具

板凳
lagmei 发表于 2014-9-12 07:01:19 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
“First of all, try to stay away professors’ fighting.”

You could use "conflicts" or "office politics" for "fighting." Most of these "power struggles" happened in a closed room situation, and most of these were leaked via rumors or unofficial channels.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Your post was well written.

It is especially difficult for students with Asian/Asian American background to situate him/herself within research teams that have tense relationships between colleagues and the mentors. Of course: meddling in such businesses never do you much good, but I do believe at times we need to place ourselves on the map. If you got too quiet in such a research group, you will become the scapegoat even if you did not do anything wrong. You got something to offer in the group, you have to let them know. You need to find a smart way to present.

I think it is time for the monotonous "Western"/"White"/"Male"-dominant research environment to change in US colleges and universities. I do not think you can just sit and hope the school policy can evolve and protect for the minority groups- policy changes always happen AFTER an incident, or a movement. You do not have to be the center of the attention, but you have to be a part of the push.

Good luck for your future engagements with the research team. I believe you can shine.
已有 1 人评分经验 论坛币 学术水平 热心指数 信用等级 收起 理由
xrym + 100 + 20 + 5 + 5 + 5 鼓励积极发帖讨论

总评分: 经验 + 100  论坛币 + 20  学术水平 + 5  热心指数 + 5  信用等级 + 5   查看全部评分

使用道具

报纸
shirley923 发表于 2014-9-14 23:20:41 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
Thank you very much for your nice comments.
"You could use "conflicts" or "office politics" for "fighting." Most of these "power struggles" happened in a closed room situation, and most of these were leaked via rumors or unofficial channels."
I agree with the words "conflicts" or "office politics" to some extent. However, the word "fighting" has been used by some professors to describe their "conflicts" or "office politics" so to speak. I think that "conflicts" and "office politics" are nice words to describe their fighting. Some people lost jobs just because of of those "conflicts" or "politics". Some professors have used law suits to win the "power struggles."
Anyway, have seen too much in academic.

使用道具

地板
xrym 发表于 2014-9-16 10:49:44 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
shirley923 发表于 2014-9-14 23:20
Thank you very much for your nice comments.
"You could use "conflicts" or "office politics" for "f ...
Fighting is just not the word that used very often. In academic, people are much nicer and you will find what are real office politics after your graduation.

使用道具

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 我要注册

本版微信群
加JingGuanBbs
拉您进交流群

京ICP备16021002-2号 京B2-20170662号 京公网安备 11010802022788号 论坛法律顾问:王进律师 知识产权保护声明   免责及隐私声明

GMT+8, 2024-4-28 15:31