应届毕业生专属福利!

求职就业群
赵安豆老师微信:zhaoandou666

经管之家联合CDA

送您一个全额奖学金名额~ !

感谢您参与论坛问题回答

经管之家送您两个论坛币!

+2 论坛币
Which is better to start with, buy-side, or sell-side?

I don't care about money, culture, work/life balance...... The ONLY thing that I care about, is my long-term career goal: I would like to open my own hedge fund.....

I'm a bit confused....pls help me out....
二维码

扫码加我 拉你入群

请注明:姓名-公司-职位

以便审核进群资格,未注明则拒绝

关键词:better Start Which side With Which better Start

上了经济学的贼船了……
沙发
greenteawsb 发表于 2010-12-16 00:31:55 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
it seems good to choose buy-side if you wanna open your own hedge fund in the future,but i do think the experience you get when you work in instiitutions of sell-side is more helpful to your future career.
ideal model: first:sell-side;second:buy-side.   'cause the things you've learned in the sell-side institutions will help you make more considerate decesion,in other words,you can learn some tools—which are useful in the investment affair and are elementary tools you can benefit much from it.
personal advice,your choice!
已有 1 人评分热心指数 信用等级 收起 理由
sonic227 + 1 + 1 好的意见建议

总评分: 热心指数 + 1  信用等级 + 1   查看全部评分

使用道具

藤椅
99rabbit 发表于 2010-12-16 02:11:45 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
Running a hedge fund requires lots of trading experience, do you have that?

使用道具

板凳
P_E_M_Lee 在职认证  发表于 2010-12-16 02:41:45 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
Not only trading experience, but also quantitative modeling experience. I know many guys in hedge fund, they are all quantitative nuts!
已有 2 人评分经验 学术水平 热心指数 信用等级 收起 理由
sonic227 + 1 + 1 好的意见建议
99rabbit + 60 + 1 我很赞同

总评分: 经验 + 60  学术水平 + 1  热心指数 + 1  信用等级 + 1   查看全部评分

使用道具

报纸
sonic227 发表于 2010-12-16 04:28:10 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
greenteawsb 发表于 2010-12-16 00:31
it seems good to choose buy-side if you wanna open your own hedge fund in the future,but i do think the experience you get when you work in instiitutions of sell-side is more helpful to your future career.
ideal model: first:sell-side;second:buy-side.   'cause the things you've learned in the sell-side institutions will help you make more considerate decesion,in other words,you can learn some tools—which are useful in the investment affair and are elementary tools you can benefit much from it.
personal advice,your choice!
I understand the "first sell-side, then buy-side "part, but, any position in the sell-side would help? Say, middle office? Risk management? Operations?

Also, as for the buy-side, there might be some funds, like an analyst in a pension..... is it a good choice?

And, what about some other 3rd-party advisory firms, like XXXX Partners, which provide investment advice....?

Thanks for your response anyway...
上了经济学的贼船了……

使用道具

地板
sonic227 发表于 2010-12-16 04:29:45 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
99rabbit 发表于 2010-12-16 02:11
Running a hedge fund requires lots of trading experience, do you have that?
Well....I said...in the LONG term.....in the LONG run.....in the DISTANT future....

I haven't got that yet, but I could learn by doing.....
上了经济学的贼船了……

使用道具

sonic227 发表于 2010-12-16 04:31:02 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
P_E_M_Lee 发表于 2010-12-16 02:41
Not only trading experience, but also quantitative modeling experience. I know many guys in hedge fund, they are all quantitative nuts!
Thanks, and I see your point here. Luckily, to be honest, quant. modelling is what I'm really good at...... I've read thoroughly the books by Shreve, Hull, and Wilmott.

But, there're quant positions at both sides. Where should I start?
上了经济学的贼船了……

使用道具

P_E_M_Lee 在职认证  发表于 2010-12-16 19:35:24 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
7# sonic227

If you wanna start your own hedge fund some day in the future, the best start point would be a quant in a hedge fund, which is clearly at the buy side. In that area you can learn not only the skills required for a quant trader, but also the hedge fund industry itself. If and only if you can be a star trader, say your right over wrong rate is much larger than 1 and thus you can bring a huge amount of profit to the company, you might get enough experience and trust to start up your own hedge fund. This is because all the investors of hedge fund industry are sophisticated, they know what they are investing in. If you can't become a star trader in hedge fund, an alternative way is to co-found a hedge fund with a star trader.

However, we all know that hedge fund usually don't hire graduates directly (although this is changing). Therefor, you need a back up plan, which is to find a position in the quantitative team of any big Wall Street Banks. At those places, you are doing almost the same thing as a quant in hedge fund. But the only difference is you are on the sell side. At sell side, it is not that easy to become a star. However, if you have a few years working experience in the quant team of sell side, it would be extremely easy to find a job in a hedge fund company. Nevertheless, being a quant at both buy side and sell side can get very good pay because they are at the very front office.

Oh by the way, as far as I know, to be a quant, you also need a PhD degree in Math, Physics, Engineering, etc. Masters get hired in quant area is rare but not impossible (unless is very outstanding, e.g. got award from Olympic Math competition etc.). Never heard BScs get hired in that role.
已有 1 人评分学术水平 热心指数 信用等级 收起 理由
sonic227 + 1 + 1 + 1 好的意见建议

总评分: 学术水平 + 1  热心指数 + 1  信用等级 + 1   查看全部评分

使用道具

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 我要注册

本版微信群
加JingGuanBbs
拉您进交流群

京ICP备16021002-2号 京B2-20170662号 京公网安备 11010802022788号 论坛法律顾问:王进律师 知识产权保护声明   免责及隐私声明

GMT+8, 2024-4-28 17:40