搜索
人大经济论坛 经典文献» 浏览文献

Competing Technologies, Increasing Returns, and Lock-In by Historical Events

文献名称 Competing Technologies, Increasing Returns, and Lock-In by Historical Events
文献作者 W. Brian Arthur
作者所在单位
文献分类 已发表文献
学科一级分类 经济
学科二级分类 经济思想史
文献摘要 This paper explores the dynamics of allocation under increasing returns in a
context where increasing returns arise naturally: agents choosing between
technologies competing for adoption.
Modern, complex technologies often display increasing returns to adoption
in that the more they are adopted, the more experience is gained with them,
and the more they are improved.1 When two or more increasing-return
technologies 'compete' then, for a 'market' of potential adopters, insignificant
events may by chance give one of them an initial advantage in adoptions. This
technology may then improve more than the others, so it may appeal to a wider
proportion of potential adopters. It may therefore become further adopted and
further improved. Thus a technology that by chance gains an early lead in
adoption may eventually 'corner the market' of potential adopters, with the
other technologies becoming locked out. Of course, under different 'insignificant
events' - unexpected successes in the performance of prototypes,
whims of early developers, political circumstances - a different technology
might achieve sufficient adoption and improvement to come to dominate.
Competitions between technologies may have, multiple potential outcomes
参考文献 Agnew, H. (I98I). 'Gas-cooled nuclear power reactors.' ScientifiAc mericanv, ol. 244, pp. 55-63.
Arthur, W. B. (I983). 'Competing technologies and lock-in by historical small events: the dynamics of
allocation under increasing returns.' International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis Paper
WP-83-92, Laxenburg, Austria. (Center for Economic Policy Research, Paper 43, Stanford).
(i 984) . 'Competing technologies and economic prediction.' OptionsI, nternational Institute for Applied
Systems Analysis, Laxenburg, Austria. No. I984/2, pp. I0-3.
Arthur, W. B., Ermoliev, Yu. and Kaniovski, Yu. (I983). 'On generalized urn schemes of the polya kind.'
Kibernetikav,o l. I9, pp. 49-56. English translation in Cyberneticvs,o l. i9, pp. 6I-7I.
and (I986). 'Strong laws for a class of path-dependent urn processes.' In Proceedingosf the
InternationaCl onferenceo n StochasticO ptimization,K iev 1984, Springer Lecture Notes Control and
Information Sciences, vol. 8i, pp. I87-300.
and (I987 a). 'Path-dependent processes and the emergence of macro-structure.' European
Journalo f OperationaRl esearchv, ol. 30, pp. 294-303.
and (I987 b). 'Non-linear urn processes: asymptotic behavior and applications.'
International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis. Paper WP-87-85, Laxenburg, Austria.
(I988). 'Self-reinforcing mechanisms in economics.' In The Economy as an Evolving Complex System
(P. Anderson, K. Arrow and D. Pines (eds)). Reading, Massachusetts: Addison-Wesley.
I989] COMPETING TECHNOLOGIES AND LOCK-IN 131
Atkinson, A. and Stiglitz, J. (I969). 'A new view of technical change.' ECONOMJIOCU RNAL, vol. 79,
PP. 573-80.
Balcer, Y. and Lippman, S. (I984). 'Technological expectations and the adoption of improved technology,'
Journal of Economic Theory, vol. 34, pp. 292-3 I8.
Bupp, I. and Derian, J. (I978). Light Water: How The Nuclear Dream Dissolved. New York: Basic.
Burton, R. (I 976). 'Recent advances in vehicular steam engine efficiency.' Society of Automotive Engineers,
Preprint 760340.
Cowan, R. (I987). 'Backing the wrong horse: sequential choice among technologies of unknown merit.'
Ph.D. Dissertation. Stanford.
David, P. (I 975). TechnicaCl hoiceI, nnovationa,n dE conomicG rowthC. ambridge: Cambridge University Press.
(1985). 'Clio and the economics of QWERTY.' AmericanE conomicR eview Proceedingsv, ol. 75,
PP. 332-7.
(I987). 'Some new standards for the economics of standardization in the information age.' In Economic
Policy and TechnologicaPl erformance(,P . Dasgupta and P. Stoneman, eds.) Cambridge: Cambridge
University Press.
and Bunn, J. (I987). 'The economics of gateway technologies and network evolution: lessons from
electricity supply history.' Centre for Economic Policy Research, Paper II9, Stanford.
Dosi, G. (I988). 'Sources, procedures and microeconomic effects of innovation.' Journalo f EconomiLc iterature
vol. 26, pp. II20-71.
, Freeman, C., Nelson, R., Silverberg, G. and Soete, L. (eds.) (I988). TechnicaCl hangea nd Economic
Theory, London: Pinter.
Farrell, J. and Saloner, G. (I985). 'Standardization, compatibility, and innovation.' Rand Journal of
Economicsv, ol. I6, PP. 70-83.
(I986). 'Installed base and compatibility: innovation, product preannouncements and predation.'
AmericanE conomiRc eview,v ol. 76. PP. 940-55.
FletcherW, . (I904). Englisha ndA mericaSnt eamC arriageas nd TractionE ngines( reprinted1 973). NewtonA bbot:
David and Charles.
Fudenberg, D. and Tirole, J. (I 983). 'Learning by doing and market performance.' Bell Journal of Economics,
vol. I4, PP- 522-30.
Hanson, W. (I985). 'Bandwagons and orphans: dynamic pricing of competing systems subject to decreasing
costs.' Ph.D. Dissertation, Stanford.
Hartwick, J. (i 985). 'The persistence of QWERTY and analogous suboptimal standards.' Mimeo, Queen's
University, Kingston, Ontario.
Hill, B., Lane, D. and Sudderth, W. (I980). 'A strong law for some generalized urn processes.' Annals of
Probabilityv, ol. 8, Pp. 2I4-26.
Katz, M. and Shapiro, C. (I985). 'Network externalities, competition, and compatibility.' AmericanE conomic
Review, vol. 75, PP. 424-40.
, and (I986). 'Technology adoption in the presence of network externalities.' Journal of Political
Economyv, ol. 94, pp. 822-4I.
Kindleberger, C. (i983). 'Standards as public, collective and private goods.' Kyklos, vol. 36, PP. 377-96.
Mamer, J. and McCardle, K. (1987). 'Uncertainty, competition and the adoption of new technology.'
ManagemenSt ciencev, ol. 33, PP. I6I-77.
McLaughlin, C. (I954). 'The Stanley Steamer: a study in unsuccessful innovation.' Explorationsi n
EntrepreneuriHali story,v ol. 7, PP. 37-47.
Metcalfe, J. S. (I985). 'On technological competition.' Mimeo, University of Manchester.
Rosenberg, N. (I982). Insidet he Black Box: Technologya nd EconomicsC. ambridge: Cambridge University
Press.
Strack, W. (1970). 'Condenseras nd Boilersf or Steam-powereCda rs.' NASA Technical Note, TN D-5813,
Washington, D.C.
Spence, A. M. (I98I). 'The learning curve and competition.' Bell Journal of Economics, vol. I2,
PP- 49-70.
关键字 Competing Technologies,;Increasing Returns,;Lock-In
发表所在刊物(或来源) The Economic Journal, Vol. 99, No. 394 (Mar., 1989), pp. 116-131
发表时间 Mar., 1989
适用研究领域 经济思想史
评论
上传时间 2011-1-11 22:09
下载文献 Competing technologies, increasing returns, and lock-in by historical events.pdf[401.73 KB]
注:下载文献会消耗您一个“当日剩余下载次数”

会员评论

发表评论

京ICP备16021002-2号 京B2-20170662号 京公网安备 11010802022788号 论坛法律顾问:王进律师 知识产权保护声明   免责及隐私声明

GMT+8, 2024-6-26 14:23