楼主: gongtianyu
1189 1

[财经英语角区] Keynes,Systemic risk,Japan’s depression,Conservative Economic thought [推广有奖]

院士

50%

还不是VIP/贵宾

-

威望
论坛币
16382 个
通用积分
学术水平
277 点
热心指数
279 点
信用等级
204 点
经验
212 点
帖子
精华
在线时间
1814 小时
注册时间
2007-11-7
最后登录
2023-7-18

+2 论坛币
k人 参与回答

经管之家送您一份

应届毕业生专属福利!

求职就业群
赵安豆老师微信:zhaoandou666

经管之家联合CDA

送您一个全额奖学金名额~ !

感谢您参与论坛问题回答

经管之家送您两个论坛币!

+2 论坛币
1. Keynes.  It’s always refreshing to read an article by someone who has actually read Keynes.   (As it’s equally amusing to read commentary by a supposed anti-Keynesian who clearly never has.)   Keynes makes the important and, hopefully, obvious observation that one of the reasons that growth cycles stall is because the richest, who tend to accrue a larger share of the newly made wealth, consume proportionately less than the middle class.   Consumer demand thereby slackens.  This is almost a picture perfect description of the 90’s with wealth being accumulated by the richest and earning power of the middle class eroded.

The answer: government taxes the riches proportionately higher and spends the money on  socially productive investments such as roads, health and schools.   

2.  Systemic risk:    As our world economy becomes increasingly complex it becomes increasingly susceptible to systemic shocks.    In 2008 the shock was the massive leveraged investments on US mortgages and the various derivative bets placed on those securities.    Now?  Not sure, but through various grapevines I understand that the massive hedge funds are investing massively into each other.  I can’t do the math, but I’m sure this is not healthy.    Our system has not yet been politically able to control and oversee these funds.   So I’m not sure anyone can quantify the risk or what would trigger  a systematic failure of the hedge fund “industry”, but the risk is there and probably growing.

3.  Japan’s depression.    It’s not clear that there ever was one from the perspective of the Japanese population.   That country and the people I know there have always seemed to do just fine.   Example:  We deplore the historically low interest rates that have been paid.   But, when their savings accounts in Yen are measured against their world purchasing power, those savings have probably done quite well as the yen increased in relative value year after year.   Likewise on deplorable corporate earnings…In Japan stockholders and their stock prices are not King.   They are one constituency of the corporation.  As are the employees and even the retirees.   The overriding driving force of the Japanese corporation is not shareholder return, but the long term well being of the corporation.   Hence stock prices seem depressed from our perspective but the system as a whole was fine.

4.  Conservative Economic thought:    There really isn’t much.   Rather conservatives attempt to legitimate any short term policy that will put money into the hands of the top .1%.                  
二维码

扫码加我 拉你入群

请注明:姓名-公司-职位

以便审核进群资格,未注明则拒绝

关键词:Conservative Depression systemic Economic Thought class important actually article

沙发
li0jing 在职认证  发表于 2012-3-31 21:23:14 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
谢谢!

使用道具

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 我要注册

本版微信群
加JingGuanBbs
拉您进交流群

京ICP备16021002-2号 京B2-20170662号 京公网安备 11010802022788号 论坛法律顾问:王进律师 知识产权保护声明   免责及隐私声明

GMT+8, 2024-4-28 05:34