帖子
精华
在线时间
1842 小时
注册时间
2011-6-13
最后登录
2024-4-20

一级伯乐勋章 初级热心勋章 初级学术勋章 中级热心勋章 中级学术勋章 高级学术勋章 初级信用勋章 特级学术勋章 高级热心勋章 中级信用勋章 特级热心勋章 高级信用勋章 特级信用勋章

+2 论坛币
k人 参与回答

经管之家送您一份

应届毕业生专属福利!

求职就业群
赵安豆老师微信:zhaoandou666

经管之家联合CDA

送您一个全额奖学金名额~ !

感谢您参与论坛问题回答

经管之家送您两个论坛币!

+2 论坛币
Avoid 3 Mistakes International Students Make in Picking a Major

By Jia Guo July 25, 2013

Work cited: http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/international-student-counsel/2013/07/25/avoid-3-mistakes-international-students-make-in-picking-a-major?s_cid=related-links:TOP

Many international students I know didn't have a clear career goal when they decided to study in the U.S. Some of them were overwhelmed when faced with what can seem like thousands of academic majors that they knew little about.

Luckily, many U.S. universities don't require students to declare a major as soon as they are admitted to school. Students generally have two years to explore their interests before needing to declare their specific area of study.

Choosing a major can be as important as choosing a school in the U.S. Making a decision that could change your path in life is not an easy task, so avoid making these common mistakes.

1. Following the crowd: Many students see majors as falling into one of two categories: popular and unpopular.
Popular majors include those that will lead to high-paying jobs with relatively bright job prospects. Some international students choose the ones labeled as popular majors because they assume that the more people that chose them, the better the majors were.

This could be why many international students prefer majors such as economics, computer science and accounting. My suggestion is rather than choosing whatever is popular, use the first two years in school to find out what your favorite subject is and what kind of person you want to become, and then follow your heart.

2. Considering salary over passion: It's hard for students not to care about their future salaries, especially international students, many of who are supported by their parents financially while they attend school in the U.S.

Students will likely spend much of their lives devoted to the fields they choose. It is understandable that students would choose majors that lead to high-paying jobs.

But before doing so, consider if you really possess the willpower to spend several years studying or working in a field you don't like. Your interest in a subject could be the best teacher.

I've encountered some international students who chose majors that they disliked. Some of them chose certain majors because their parents asked them to, while others were swayed by potential salaries. As it turned out, they had less interest in what they learned and as a result, performed poorly in school.

3. Worrying too much about job prospects: Many international students I know researched job prospects pertaining to their majors. Many shied away from those majors with limited job opportunities.

However, international students should not be overly concerned about job prospects. Before I declared my major, many people told me I should rethink majoring in journalism because in their eyes, my major had a bleak future.

Instead of being frightened by these warnings, I believe that I made the right choice because I have always been passionate about becoming a journalist regardless of its job prospects. I believe it's a candidate's quality and skills that matter in the job market.

Going abroad is the first step in chasing your dream. The moment you decide to pursue that dream as an international student, you should follow your heart.

The reason that you are in the U.S. is to do what you want to do and be the person you want to become. When you have the opportunity to decide your own fate, have the courage to choose your own life.

Jia Guo, from China, graduated from the University of Minnesota—Twin Cities in 2012 with a bachelor's degree in broadcast journalism after transferring from Shandong University of Political Science and Law in Jinan, China, where she studied law. Guo is currently a graduate journalism student at New York University.
二维码

扫码加我 拉你入群

请注明:姓名-公司-职位

以便审核进群资格,未注明则拒绝

关键词:Internation Mistakes Students National Picking thousands decided career little

复制粘贴积分链接 https://bbs.pinggu.org/ext8_airdrop.php?airdropfrom^^uid=2669999
沙发
tigerwolf 发表于 2013-8-22 06:27:29 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
follow reduced_fat, thank you!
已有 1 人评分经验 论坛币 收起 理由
reduce_fat + 4 + 1 鼓励积极发帖讨论

总评分: 经验 + 4  论坛币 + 1   查看全部评分

使用道具

藤椅
cre8 发表于 2013-8-22 06:28:54 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
如果把教育视为一种投资呢?2/3 两观点就值得商榷了。
已有 1 人评分经验 论坛币 收起 理由
reduce_fat + 1 + 2 鼓励积极发帖讨论

总评分: 经验 + 1  论坛币 + 2   查看全部评分

使用道具

板凳
aningspring 发表于 2013-8-22 08:32:09 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
u made it in the night
?
已有 1 人评分经验 收起 理由
reduce_fat + 11 补偿

总评分: 经验 + 11   查看全部评分

使用道具

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 我要注册

本版微信群
加JingGuanBbs
拉您进交流群

京ICP备16021002-2号 京B2-20170662号 京公网安备 11010802022788号 论坛法律顾问:王进律师 知识产权保护声明   免责及隐私声明

GMT+8, 2024-5-12 20:49