黑帮老大的一天:一个玩儿命街头的社会学家
英文原版 epub版本
Freakonomics 中关于黑帮的一章就是基于本书作者的经历,并介绍过这本书。论坛内有朋友上传过此书的中文版,现分享英文版,方便大家手机上看看。
二维码

扫码加我 拉你入群

请注明:姓名-公司-职位

以便审核进群资格,未注明则拒绝

关键词:Streets Leader logist Street logis 英文原版 社会学家 英文版 中文版 朋友

Gang Leader for a Day - A Sociologist takes to the streets - Venkatesh (epub).zip

395.04 KB

需要: 5 个论坛币  [购买]

epub

本附件包括:

• Gang Leader for a Day - A Sociologist takes to the streets - Venkatesh (epub).epub

已有 1 人评分经验 论坛币 热心指数 收起 理由
wwqqer + 100 + 60 + 1 精彩帖子

总评分: 经验 + 100  论坛币 + 60  热心指数 + 1   查看全部评分

沙发
FrozensnakeJ 企业认证  发表于 2015-5-28 16:46:54 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群

使用道具

藤椅
FrozensnakeJ 企业认证  发表于 2015-5-28 16:47:25 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群

使用道具

板凳
FrozensnakeJ 企业认证  发表于 2015-5-28 16:48:22 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
First introduced in Freakonomics, here is the full story of Sudhir Venkatesh, the sociology grad student who infiltrated one of Chicago's most notorious gangs

The story of the young sociologist who studied a Chicago crack-dealing gang from the inside captured the world's attention when it was first described in Freakonomics. Gang Leader for a Day is the fascinating full story of how Sudhir Venkatesh managed to gain entrŽe into the gang, what he learned, and how his method revolutionized the academic establishment.

When Venkatesh walked into an abandoned building in one of Chicago's most notorious housing projects, he was looking for people to take a multiple-choice survey on urban poverty. A first-year grad student hoping to impress his professors with his boldness, he never imagined that as a result of the assignment he would befriend a gang leader named JT and spend the better part of a decade inside the projects under JT's protection, documenting what he saw there.

Over the next seven years, Venkatesh got to know the neighborhood dealers, crackheads, squatters, prostitutes, pimps, activists, cops, organizers, and officials. From his privileged position of unprecedented access, he observed JT and the rest of the gang as they operated their crack-selling business, conducted PR within their community, and rose up or fell within the ranks of the gang's complex organizational structure.

In Hollywood-speak, Gang Leader for a Day is The Wire meets Harvard University. It's a brazen, page turning, and fundamentally honest view into the morally ambiguous, highly intricate, often corrupt struggle to survive in what is tantamount to an urban war zone. It is also the story of a complicated friendship between Sudhir and JT-two young and ambitious men a universe apart.

使用道具

报纸
FrozensnakeJ 企业认证  发表于 2015-5-28 16:48:54 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
编辑推荐

Congressman Jesse L. Jackson, Jr.
"Whether you enjoy fiction, history, or biography you'll be drawn to Venkatesh's gripping retelling of his experiences in the Robert Taylor Homes." --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

Steven D. Levitt, co-author, Freakonomics
" an absolutely incredible book... equal parts comedy and tragedy... I promise you will not be able to put it down." --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

Steven D. Levitt, co-author, Freakonomics
'an absolutely incredible book... equal parts comedy and tragedy... I promise you will not be able to put it down.' --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

The Times
'A rollicking read...a vivid insight into gang culture' --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

The Guardian
'Darkly entertaining ... an absorbing and self-effacing odyssey' --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

The Herald
'A fascinating and full access look at survival in an urban war zone' --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

Economist
'A rich portrait of the urban poor ... drawn from vivid tales of their lives'
--This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

From the Author
FROM THE FOREWORD BY STEVEN J. DUBNER:
I believe that Sudhir Venkatesh was born with two abnormalities: an overdeveloped curiosity and an underdeveloped sense of fear.

How else to explain him? Like thousands upon thousands of people, he entered graduate school one fall and was dispatched by his professors to do some research. This research happened to take him to the Robert Taylor Homes in Chicago, one of the worst ghettos in America. But blessed by that outlandish curiosity and unfettered by the sort of commonsensical fear that most of us would experience upon being held hostage by an armed crack gang, as Venkatesh was early on in his research, he kept coming back for more.

I met Venkatesh a few years ago when I interviewed him for Freakonomics, a book I wrote with the economist Steve Levitt. Venkatesh and Levitt had collaborated on several academic papers about the economics of crack cocaine. Those papers were interesting, to be sure, but Venkatesh himself presented a whole new level of fascination. He is soft-spoken and laconic; he doesn't volunteer much information. But every time you ask him a question, it is like tugging a thread on an old tapestry: the whole thing unspools and falls at your feet. Story after story, marked by lapidary detail and hard-won insight: the rogue cop who terrorized the neighborhood; the jerry-built network through which poor families hustled to survive; the time Venkatesh himself became gang leader for a day.

Although we wrote about Venkatesh in Freakonomics (it was many readers' favorite part), there wasn't room for any of these stories. Thankfully, he has now written an extraordinary book that details all of his adventures and misadventures. The stories he tells are far stranger than fiction, and they are also more forceful, heartbreaking, and hilarious. Along the way, he paints a unique portrait of the kind of neighborhood that is badly misrepresented when it is represented at all. Journalists like me might hang out in such neighborhoods for a week or a month or even a year. Most social scientists and do-gooders tend to do their work at arm's length. But Venkatesh practically lived in this neighborhood for the better part of a decade. He brought the perspective of an outsider and came away with an insider's access. A lot of writing about the poor tends to reduce living, breathing, joking, struggling, sensual, moral human beings to dupes who are shoved about by invisible forces. This book does the opposite. It shows, day by day and dollar by dollar, how the crack dealers, tenant leaders, prostitutes, parents, hustlers, cops, and Venkatesh himself tried to construct a good life out of substandard materials.

As much as I have come to like Venkatesh, and admire him, I probably would not want to be a member of his family: I would worry too much about his fearlessness. I probably wouldn't want to be one of his research subjects either, for his curiosity must be exhausting. But I am very, very happy to have been one of the first readers of Venkatesh's book, for it is as extraordinary as he is. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

媒体推荐

"Gang Leader for a Day is not another voyeuristic look into the supposedly tawdry, disorganized life of the black poor. Venkatesh entered the Chicago gang world at the height of the crack epidemic and what he found was a tightly organized community, held together by friendship and compassion as well as force. I couldn't stop reading, and ended up loving this brave, reckless young scholar, as well as the gang leader J.T., who has to be one of the greatest characters ever to emerge from something that could be called sociological research." -- Barbara Ehrenreich "Gang Leader for a Day is an absolutely incredible book. Sudhir Venkatesh's memoir of his years observing life in Chicago's inner city is a book unlike any other I have read, equal parts comedy and tragedy. How is it that a naòve suburban kid ends up running a crack gang (if only for a day) on his way to becoming one of the world's leading scholars? You have to read it to find out, but heed this warning: don't pick up the book unless you have a few hours to spare because I promise you will not be able to put it down once you start." --Steven D. Levitt, co-author, Freakonomics "This extraordinary book features the fascinating research of a brilliant young sociologist. Sudhir Venkatesh spent several years closely interacting with crack-selling gang members and struggling poor residents in a large and very dangerous public housing project in Chicago. His riveting portrait of day-to-day life in this poor community, including the challenges confronting parents in a drug-infested and violent social environment, is disturbing. But, Gang Leader for a Day is rich with original information and insights on poor families, drug dealers and even the police. It will leave an indelible impression on readers." ---William Julius Wilson, Harvard University Lewis P. and Linda L. Geyser Professor "Whether you enjoy fiction, history, or biography you'll be drawn to Venkatesh's gripping retelling of his experiences in the Robert Taylor Homes. Gang Leader for a Day poignantly reminds us that there continue to be separate and unequal Americas that ultimately impact us all." --Congressman Jesse L. Jackson, Jr. (D-IL)

使用道具

地板
albertwishedu 发表于 2016-2-6 17:50:54 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群

使用道具

Enthuse 发表于 2016-2-9 10:11:34 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
thanks ..

使用道具

waiwjm 发表于 2016-3-3 19:50:11 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
不是pdf版本?

使用道具

xiechunlin00 发表于 2016-8-11 11:03:37 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
好书好书。

使用道具

csyyy666 发表于 2016-10-11 14:50:40 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
谢谢~~

使用道具

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 我要注册

本版微信群
加好友,备注jr
拉您进交流群

京ICP备16021002-2号 京B2-20170662号 京公网安备 11010802022788号 论坛法律顾问:王进律师 知识产权保护声明   免责及隐私声明

GMT+8, 2024-4-19 12:19