应届毕业生专属福利!

求职就业群
赵安豆老师微信:zhaoandou666

经管之家联合CDA

送您一个全额奖学金名额~ !

感谢您参与论坛问题回答

经管之家送您两个论坛币!

+2 论坛币

图书翻译质量问题恐怕在全世界都存在,以下评论引自Amazon,关于Introductory Real Analysis,该书作者是Kolmogorov和Fomin,翻译者(或者叫编辑者)Richard Silverman.

36 of 36 people found the following review helpful:

Are all Silverman's "translations" like this one?, May 26, 2004
Reviewer: A reader
First, let us be precise in reviewing this book. It is NOT a book by Kolmogorov/Fomin, but rather an edited version by Silverman. So, if you read the first lines in the Editor's Preface, it states, "The present course is a freely revised and restyled version of ... the Russian original". Further down it continues, "...As in the other volumes of this series, I have not hesitated to make a number of pedagogical and mathematical improvements that occurred to me...". Read it as a big red warning flag. Alas, I would have to agree with the reader from Rio de Janeiro. I've been working through this book to rehash my knowledge of measure theory and Lebesgue integration as a prerequisite for stochastic calculus. And I've encountered many results of "mathematical improvements" that occurred to the esteemed "translator". Things are fine when topics/theorems are not too sophisticated (I guess not much room for "improvements"). Not so when you work through some more subtle proofs. Most mistakes I discovered are relatively easy to rectify (and I'm ignoring typos). But the latest is rather egregious. The proof of theorem 1 from ch. 9 (p.344-345) (about the Hahn decomposition induced on X by a signed measure F) contains such a blatant error, I am very hard pressed to believe it comes from the original. That book survived generations of math students at Moscow State, and believe me, they would go through each letter of the proofs. Astounded by such an obvious nonsense, I grabed the only other reference book on the subject I had at hand, "Measure Theory" by Halmos. The equivalent there is theorem A, sec. 29 (p.121 of Springer-Verlag edition), which has a correct proof.
For those interested in details, Silverman's proof states that positive integers are strictly ordered: k1<k2<...<kn<... which is nonsense. Consider subsets B1 and B2 such that F(B1)=3, F(B2)=2, for example. That gives you both k1=k2=1. The flaw of course is not in this slip-up per se, but rather in the logic of the proof which follows from the above ordering of k's. Compare vs Halmos text to see the difference. It may seem insignificant to certain translators, but in mathematics, out of all of sciences, subtle details change an elegant proof to a flagrant nonsense.
Unfortunately, I don't have the Russian original. Instead, I'm trying to get the other, hopefully real translation, "Elements of the Theory of Functions and Functional Analysis". BTW, this is the actual title of the original, not "Introductory Real Analysis". Which apparently is causing significant confussion amoung past and present readers. To give you a background info, the Russian original is (or has been, at least) used as a textbook for a third-year subject for (hard-core) math students. Meaning, in the preceding two years they would complete a pre-requisite four-semester calculus course. For example, criteria of convergence of series and their properties is an assumed knowledge in presentation of Lebesgue integral. So, I think most of the critique from earlier reivews is a bit misdirected. The original book is a great starting book into functional analyis/Lebesgue integration and differentiation, but proofs require solid understanding of fundamentals of calculus.
The best part about Kolmogorov's text is the clarity of conceptual structure of the presented subject a reader would gain, if he/she puts some effort. You would gain a thorough understanding, not just a knowledge of the subject. There is quite a difference between the two, and not that many authors succeed in delivering that.
But to gain that from Kolmogorov, I would suggest the other, "unimproved" but real, translation.
二维码

扫码加我 拉你入群

请注明:姓名-公司-职位

以便审核进群资格,未注明则拒绝

关键词:图书翻译 Improvements Mathematical prerequisite Introductory 外文书籍翻译

沙发
wuhandsome 发表于 2006-4-8 19:35:00 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群

看不懂

看您的帖子,愈发显出我皮袍下的小来

使用道具

藤椅
fleet 发表于 2006-4-10 10:12:00 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群

得看是纯粹的翻译还是其他什么

使用道具

板凳
stonesen 发表于 2006-4-10 12:17:00 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
哈哈,太搞了,既然如此有问题,那个洋人还翻译?有什么意思呢?
I have a voice

使用道具

报纸
huang010567 发表于 2006-4-13 22:02:00 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群

赫赫有意思

使用道具

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 我要注册

本版微信群
加好友,备注ddjd
拉您入交流群

京ICP备16021002-2号 京B2-20170662号 京公网安备 11010802022788号 论坛法律顾问:王进律师 知识产权保护声明   免责及隐私声明

GMT+8, 2024-4-30 18:42