应届毕业生专属福利!

求职就业群
赵安豆老师微信:zhaoandou666

经管之家联合CDA

送您一个全额奖学金名额~ !

感谢您参与论坛问题回答

经管之家送您两个论坛币!

+2 论坛币
Dear all! I have a problem with a within-subjects anova - language: english/spanish and word type: negative/neutral as within subjects factors. The interaction is not significant, but word type is at the level of significance p=0.14 аnd language p=0.11 - so they show a tendency to be significant.

I got an advice to just check the effects of language and word type, without or omitting the interaction (since its 0 and it might be confounding), but I do not seem to manage to figure it out how should I do this in SPSS?

(Not putting language*word type into the options-->display means for gives the same results, same F-tests and levels of significance).  Thanks in advance!

二维码

扫码加我 拉你入群

请注明:姓名-公司-职位

以便审核进群资格,未注明则拒绝

关键词:effects Effect check Chec FECT subjects english factors problem spanish

沙发
ReneeBK 发表于 2014-4-16 23:56:12 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
I assume you are estimating your model via GLM (Analyze > General Linear
Model > Repeated Measures via the GUI).  That would explain why you are
unable to omit the interaction term:  GLM includes it automatically.

To have more flexibility, I suggest you restructure your data from WIDE to LONG (look up VARSTOCASES, and see the examples).  Then use MIXED to  estimate your model.  The Command Syntax Reference manual (aka the FM)  includes an example of how to perform repeated measures ANOVA via MIXED.

Bruce Weaver

使用道具

藤椅
ReneeBK 发表于 2014-4-16 23:58:06 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
II assume that you want to do this because of the arguments made by Herbert Clark that both subjects and stimuli (words) should be considered random effects.  In traditional analyses, such as repeated measures ANOVA, subjects are a random effects factor and words are considered fixed effects. Because of limitation of the software of the time, to get words to be random effect, one had to "flip" the dataset so that the words became the unit of analysis.  I believe that the relevant publication for this is Clark 1973 which can be accessed here:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDEQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcseweb.ucsd.edu%2F~gary%2FPAPER-SUGGESTIONS%2Fclark-jvlvb-1973.pdf&ei=UVxOU-H3BvOnsATPpYGIBQ&usg=AFQjCNFYlTLJX85pIjakWlwJbvN5QMaZSQ&sig2=IPqYrzb_Mqa9PdopjZwngw
(If Url get broken search scholar.google.com for "Clark", "1973" and "language as fixed-effect-fallacy".

However, this was a controversial assertion which not everyone in the psycholinguistics and memory research area agreed to.  You may want to see who cite this article and whether they are pro or con.

With newer software, factors in ANOVA can be defined as fixed (default) or random.  You may want to take a look at the following reference (Note: I got it from scholar.google.com and it is supposed to be in APA format but scholar doesn't get it right):

Carson, R. J., & Beeson, C. M. (2013). Crossing language barriers:Using crossed random effects modelling in psycholinguistics research. Tutorials Quant Meth Psych, 9(1), 25-41.The article is available here:www.tqmp.org/Content/vol09-1/p025/p025.pdf

This paper by Carson & Beeson (2013) provides background, rationale for doing an analysis where both subjects and words/stimuli are considered random effects, and provide SPSS examples using the MIXED procedure.

I never cared for Clark's argument but other have.  There are people on SPSS who are unfamiliar with Clark's argument but are SPSS guru's and can provide advice on to do the analysis presented by Carson & Beeson.
Mike Palij

使用道具

板凳
ReneeBK 发表于 2014-4-17 00:01:02 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
Dear Mike,
yes, you are right, I would like to do an analysis by participants and stimuli,

but the main problem is that I can not find a way to switch off the interaction-calculating procedure in repeated measures Anova. This would be important, because the analysis by participant show a tendency
to be significant (p levels at 0.11 and 0.14) and the interaction is zero, so it was suggested to me to do the analysis without the interaction.

Thanks for the articles, I believe that I would not be confident in doing  the crossed-random effects model analysis

使用道具

报纸
ReneeBK 发表于 2014-4-17 00:01:36 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
Here's another article on using multilevel models as an alternative to the old "Clarkian" methods. http://link.springer.com/article/10.3758/BF03192962.The Appendix includes both SAS and SPSS examples.

While looking for that link, I also found this "technical report", which anyone can download (no university library access required).  I've not read it, but have heard of the author*, and would guess it is probably fairly sound.

http://crr.ugent.be/papers/The%20language%20as%20fixed%20effect%20fallacy%20Version%202%200.pdf

* Years ago, I used a very nice Turbo Pascal timer routine Brysbaert published in Behavior Research Methods, Instruments & Computers.  Those who are interested in a little history can view it here: http://link.springer.com/article/10.3758/BF03209826.

使用道具

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 我要注册

本版微信群
加好友,备注jltj
拉您入交流群

京ICP备16021002-2号 京B2-20170662号 京公网安备 11010802022788号 论坛法律顾问:王进律师 知识产权保护声明   免责及隐私声明

GMT+8, 2024-4-28 19:07