应届毕业生专属福利!

求职就业群
赵安豆老师微信:zhaoandou666

经管之家联合CDA

送您一个全额奖学金名额~ !

感谢您参与论坛问题回答

经管之家送您两个论坛币!

+2 论坛币
我最大的缺点就是过于乐观,因此我现在操作时从没有想过每笔交易能为我赚多少钱,而是无时无刻想着可能遭受的亏损,时刻注意保护自己已经拥有的东西。 ——保罗·多泽·琼斯( Paul Tudor Jones )
如果你不知道谁是保罗·多泽·琼斯( Paul Tudor JonesII )请点以下链接。 https://bbs.pinggu.org/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=833448&ctid=1409
The next time the dragon of failure reared his ugly head was in 1978. I was working in New Orleans for one of the greatest cotton traders of all time, Eli Tullis. Now, New Orleans is an unbelievable city. It has the Strawberry Festival, the Jazz Festival, the Sugar Bowl, Mardi Gras, and just about every other excuse for a party that you can ever imagine. Heck, in that town, waking up was an excuse to party. I was still pretty fresh out of college, and my mentality, unfortunately, was still firmly set on fraternity row. It was a Friday morning in June, and I had been out literally all night with a bunch of my friends. My job was to man the phone all day during trading hours and call cotton prices quotes from New York into Mr. Tullis’ office. Around noon, things got quiet on the New York floor, and I got overly drowsy. The next thing I remember was a ruler prying my chin off my chest, and Mr. Tullis calling to me, “Paul. Paul.” My eyes fluttered opened and as I came to my senses, he said to me, “Son, you are fired.” I’d never been so shocked or hurt in my life. I literally thought I was going to die for I had just been sacked by an iconic figure in my business.
失败之魔再次抬起他丑陋的头是在1978年。我当时在新奥尔良为有史以来最伟大的棉花交易商之一艾里·突里斯工作。现在,新奥尔良成了传奇城市,这里有草莓节、爵士节、Sugar Bowl, 大斋戒以及你能够想象的任何聚会。我当时大学刚毕业,很不幸,我的意识形态仍然牢牢地定在兄弟会上。那是六月的一个星期五,我整夜与一伙朋友流连忘返。我的工作是在交易时间守住电话,把纽约的棉花报价通过电话告诉突里斯先生的办公室。中午时,纽约交易厅那边变得相当安静,我又非常困。我记得的下一件事情就是有人揪着我的下巴,都快要揪掉了,突里斯先生冲着我喊,“保罗。保罗。”我的眼睛朦朦胧胧地睁开,头脑清醒后,他对我说,“小伙子,你被解雇了。”我一生中从未如此震惊如此受伤。我真得以为我要死了,因为我竟然被自己的职业偶像人物炒了鱿鱼。
My shame turned into anger. I was not angry at Mr. Tullis for he was right. I was angry at myself. But I knew I was not a failure, and I swore that I was going to prove to myself that I could be a success. I called a friend and secured a job on the floor of the New York Cotton Exchange and moved to the City. Today, I will put my work ethic up against anybody’s on Wall Street. Failure will give you a tattoo that will stay with you your whole life, and sometimes it’s a really good thing. One other side note, to this day, I’ve never told my parents that I got fired. I told them I just wanted to try something different. Shame can be a lifetime companion for which you better prepare yourself.
我的耻辱变成了愤怒。我不是生突里斯先生的气,因为他没错。我是跟自己生气。但我知道我不是失败的人,我发誓我会证明自己成功。我给朋友打电话,在纽约棉花交易厅找到份工作,搬到纽约。今天,我的职业道德可以与华尔街任何人的职业道德相匹敌。失败会给你纹身,会终身陪伴你,有时,这其实是好事。另一方面,时至即日,我都没有告诉我父母我遭到解雇。我告诉他们我只不过想尝试不同的东西。羞辱可以是让你更好地准备自己的终身伴侣。
Now, there are two types of failure you will experience in life. The first type is what I just described and comes from things you can control. That is the worst kind. But there is another form of failure that will be equally devastating to you, and that is the kind beyond your control. This happened to me in 1982. I had met a very lovely young Harvard student from Connecticut, dated her for two years then asked her to marry me right after she graduated from college. We set a date; we sent out the invitations; and all was fantastic until one month before the wedding when her father called me. He said, “Paul, my daughter sat me down this afternoon, and she doesn’t know how to tell you this, but she is really unhappy and thinks it’s time for you two to take a break.” At first I thought he was joking because he was a very funny guy. Then he said, “No, she is serious about this.” I thought to myself, “Oh, my God, I am being dumped at the altar.” I’m from Tennessee. Getting dumped at the altar was the supreme social embarrassment of that time. It was a big deal. When all my family and friends found out, they were ready to re-start the Civil War on the spot. I had to remind them that the last Civil War didn’t go so well for our side, and I didn’t like our chances in a rematch. The reality was that I was a 26-year old knucklehead, and since all my friends were getting married, I kind of felt it was time for me to do the same thing. And that was the worst reason in the world to get married. I actually think she understood that and to a certain extent spared me what would have been a very tough marriage. Instead, I’ve had an incredible marriage for twenty years to a wonderful wife, and we have four kids that I love more than anything on Earth. Some things happen to you that at the time will make you feel like the world is coming to an end, but in actuality, there is a very good reason for it. You just can’t see it and don’t know it. When one door closes, another will open, but standing in that hallway can be hell. You just have to persevere. Quite often that dragon of failure is really chasing you off the wrong road and on to the right one.
生活中你将经历两种挫败。一种是我刚刚描述的,来自你可以控制的事情。那是最糟糕的情况。还有一种失败形式也同样令人幻灭,而且完全不在你的控制中。1982年,我经历了这样的事情。我遇到一位来自康涅狄格州的哈佛女生,超可爱的,跟她约会了两年,然后她刚一毕业,我就向她求婚。我们定了日子,四处发请帖,一切都极其美妙,直到婚礼前一个月,她父亲给我打电话。他说,“保罗,今天下午我女儿让我坐下,她不知道如何跟你讲,但她真得很不开心,觉得你们两个应该分手。”一开始,我还以为他在开玩笑,因为他特逗。然后他说,“不,她可是认真的。”我对自己说,“哦,我的上帝,我竟然在祭坛边被抛弃。”我来自田纳西。在祭坛边被抛弃是当时最让人尴尬的际遇。那可是件大事。当我所有家人和朋友都知道后,他们马上就要重新掀起内战。我不得不提醒他们最后的内战对我们这一边很不利,而且我们在重赛中的机会也不容乐观。事实是,当时我是个26岁的傻瓜,我所有的朋友都结婚了,所以我觉得好像我也该作同样的事情。而那正是世界上最糟糕的结婚理由。实际上,我觉得她理解这一点,而且在某种程度上,为我省去了一个非常艰难的婚姻。现在,我拥有20年妙不可言的婚姻,有一个超级贤惠的妻子,有四个比地球上任何东西都更值得爱的孩子。有些事情发生的当时让你觉得世界末日就要来临,但其实背后总有个正当的理由。只是当时已惘然。当一扇门关上时,另一扇就会随之开启,只不过站在两道门之间时可能宛如身处地狱。你不得不坚持。通常,失败的恶魔是将你追逐出错误路线,逼上正道。

二维码

扫码加我 拉你入群

请注明:姓名-公司-职位

以便审核进群资格,未注明则拒绝

关键词:Jones Tudor ones Paul Jon failure 最大的

已有 3 人评分论坛币 学术水平 热心指数 信用等级 收起 理由
低调小武 + 1 + 1 精彩帖子
eros_zz + 60 + 2 + 1 鼓励积极发帖讨论
wwqqer + 2 + 2 精彩帖子

总评分: 论坛币 + 60  学术水平 + 3  热心指数 + 5  信用等级 + 1   查看全部评分

本帖被以下文库推荐

The most important thing is how good are you at risk control.
沙发
wwqqer 在职认证  发表于 2014-5-29 21:22:19 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
是楼主自己翻译的吗?翻译功力很深啊,赞一个!

使用道具

藤椅
415 发表于 2014-5-30 09:17:28 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
Quite often that dragon of failure is really chasing you off the wrong road and on to the right one.Thanks for sharing!

使用道具

板凳
dnq 发表于 2014-5-31 07:34:19 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
https://bbs.pinggu.org/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=833448&ctid=1409

使用道具

报纸
dnq 发表于 2014-5-31 07:35:43 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
很好的,可否有全文.

使用道具

地板
老渔夫 发表于 2014-5-31 16:52:46 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
wwqqer 发表于 2014-5-29 21:22
是楼主自己翻译的吗?翻译功力很深啊,赞一个!
这是一个中学英文教师练习译文。受限于翻译者的美国历史文化修养,有些地方使得读者感到有费解处。例如When all my family and friends found out, they were ready to re-start the Civil War on the spot. I had to remind them that the last Civil War didn’t go so well for our side, and I didn’t like our chances in a rematch. 译文为:“当我所有家人和朋友都知道后,他们马上就要重新掀起内战。我不得不提醒他们最后的内战对我们这一边很不利,而且我们在重赛中的机会也不容乐观。” 就译得很生硬。rematch翻译成“重赛”就不如译成“重聚”,“破镜重圆”。re-start the Civil War译成重新掀起内战虽然一点问题没有,但对于不知道田纳西州属于美国Civil War的南方阵营而康州和麻省属于北方阵营的中国学生来说就很费解。

Anyway,这个板块并不是讨论翻译技巧的,渔夫转贴此文只是希望对trader这样的career感兴趣并渴望成功的人有所借鉴。中国股市也有一阵子的历史了,虽然也冒了几个人名出来,但毕竟世无英雄!
The most important thing is how good are you at risk control.

使用道具

wwqqer 在职认证  发表于 2014-5-31 17:52:30 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
老渔夫 发表于 2014-5-31 16:52
这是一个中学英文教师练习译文。受限于翻译者的美国历史文化修养,有些地方使得读者感到有费解处。例如Wh ...
非常感谢楼主推荐的好文!是的,翻译本身没有大问题。如果译者能加上注解就perfect了。

使用道具

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 我要注册

本版微信群
加好友,备注jr
拉您进交流群

京ICP备16021002-2号 京B2-20170662号 京公网安备 11010802022788号 论坛法律顾问:王进律师 知识产权保护声明   免责及隐私声明

GMT+8, 2024-5-1 07:12