使用道具

myJGw 发表于 2018-6-21 09:20:12 |显示全部楼层 |坛友微信交流群
昨日阅读1小时,累计阅读311小时

1. 今天阅读到的有价值的全文内容链接:
Career Development — Your Personal Project
https://www.pmi.org/learning/tra ... rojectified-podcast

2. 今天阅读到的有价值的内容段落摘录:
by Jacqueline Van Pelt
Yes, I think you've hit on something that is certainly tough for me... the transition from really being a results oriented facts and numbers based engineer... And that really is kind of my mindset that, you know, you look at what you create in your job or your role, you look at your work products and that's something that you're very proud of, I think, as an engineer. You're trying to create something tangible. And so when I started in this role it's certainly a very different role and it took me a little bit of time to realize that it really was more of a relationship and people interaction role and that my work product really is my interactions with people.
We have a program management leadership team that are also responsible for program execution, but we sort of let them be the voice of the PMs and their very senior program directors and in working with them it was neat to see the diversity of thought, based on the experiences that they had had, either in their current role, in previous roles, previous companies, just throughout their career... very wise, seasoned people... that they had and how they received the messaging and just in conversations that we had as a program management leadership team about what the next steps were and what was important. You know, you have some people who are just enthusiastic and on board with anything that might make the needle move a little and then you naturally have some people who are more sceptical and see the challenges and are very careful to say hey, you know, the first thing we need to do is ensure that we're going to do no harm, because we don't want to damage the solid foundation that we already have. So I think just even in that small group of program directors really, that had a lot of respect for each other and yet felt very strongly in each of their perspectives about doing the right thing for the organization and for their programs and just the matter of having to get those handful, half a dozen, a dozen people on board together and on the same page, it really I think showed how the first thing that you need is to have a common vision and agreement and build some consensus.
Absolutely, yes and the only thing I would disagree with there is probably lateral, in that that was one of the challenges, I think, of the role that I've been in and also one of the tremendous opportunities for growth in that when I sat in the room with the program management leadership team I would need to get four promotions instantaneously to be lateral to any of them.
Yes. And, in fact, both of the two Vice Presidents that I worked for I think, I mean, at some point I lose track of exactly the executive grading system, but I think I would have needed probably seven or eight to get to their level. So, a tremendous opportunity for growth for me, but certainly not lateral stakeholder management. So I think an important part of that... I know you're looking for my input as far as an early or mid-career professional... it's trying to get a seat at the table and, you know, convince yourself that you deserve a seat at the table and then gain the respect of the other people there. Relationships, naturally you know, when I walked in the room I realized immediately in that type of a setting how important relationships are. I think sometimes we take that for granted when we're working with, you know, more lateral type relationships, because we assume that there is that assumed respect for your position or your authority.
Yes. So I think that, you know, you're not going to convince anyone else of anything that you don't believe, right? So I think that that's your first step in anything. When you're dealing in any situation as a project manager, trying to be a leader, trying to make progress, you need to value your own perspective first, so that others will as well and I think sometimes, you know, in situations like that I wasn't in a position where I was going to be able to offer a more experienced or in some cases, you know, more informed perspective when it came to the status of our programs or the history of our company or programs or things like that. I was not in a position to offer a more informed or a more experienced perspective, but I really had to recognize that I did have a valuable perspective to offer, even though it might not be the traditionally valued perspective and that was why I was there and they not just could use that perspective, but they expected and needed that perspective.
So, I think this is actually something more recently that I've learned. Perhaps I would have benefited from knowing this sooner. Power posing. It's something that a mentor that I have here within the business has introduced me to and there's a TED talk about it. There's a lot of research and evidence that shows if you just take a power pose a couple of times for a minute or two before you go do something important, it kind of convinces yourself that you're a powerful person. I actually have a picture of Superman and also of a tiger power posing hanging on my white board, just kind of as a reminder that you're responsible for your own power.
Yes. And there's one other thing that I would say with that and I think that that's kind of developing your own sense of when to speak up and when to listen up. It's a little bit difficult. I'm not sure that it comes naturally to anyone and maybe it does. If it does I'm jealous of you. But you do have to accept some risk in trying to establish those boundaries of when it is that you should be speaking and when you should be listening up, because there's certainly a time when it's time to offer your perspective, maybe offer a candid assessment that's contrary to the general consensus and then there's other times where you just need to get on board and move out. And so trying to find out when those times were to do each of those things was important as well.
So I think it's just, it's a feel that you develop over time from trying things and they work sometimes and they don't, and trying to be self-reflective both before and after you enter engagements where you're going to be a position where you need to determine how to react and what to do. And I think it's also again underpinned by the relationships, right? If you have a strong relationship with the people in the room you can know whether you should speak up in that setting, whether you should hold off and speak up in another setting or what it is, and I think it's establishing a level of trust with the people that you work with and I'd like to think that I've been able to develop this with the program directors and the vice presidents and those that I've supported that I will offer my candid assessment and I will ask the awkward questions when it's needed, but when a decision is made and that's what we're going to move out and do, I will be behind you 100% and it will never be attributable to one person, whether it's wildly successful or falls flat on its face.
Yes, and I think that's really important and that really does break down a lot of barriers and that comes back to, I think we mentioned trust earlier. An important part of relationships is the trust that is created when you do build strong relationships and I once heard that trust is the conduit for influence and therefore it's the medium through which ideas travel.
So, for me, this is a concept that I was introduced to over the last year as well, and it's the idea that how do you create trust with people? You create experiences with them that change the beliefs that they hold about you or with regard to you. So, I look at myself as an experience creator in my interactions with other people. I'm creating experiences with them that are going to influence their beliefs and then subsequently, you know, their actions and their results in working with them. So every interaction, you know, you want to be consistent so that they know what to expect from you and you want to create experiences that will lead to them holding the beliefs about you that you want them to. So, if you want them to believe that you're trusted you need to create experiences that you're trustworthy.
Yes, so I was fortunate enough to learn that I think at a very early stage in my career as a consultant. I worked for a consulting firm that actually I was supervised for a significant portion of the time by my mother and there is no-one who believes in you more than your mother, who will put you into situations to allow yourself to grow and rise to the challenge. So asking the awkward question is really something that I have learned from her. She is an engineer as well and in the consulting world it's kind of, you know, where there's smoke there's probably fire. So, if somebody else isn't asking the question it's probably why they brought you in, because you need to get to the bottom of it and help ask that question and find the root cause of the problem and go from there. So, I think that my consulting experience... and I can cite one specific example... I've worked with some folks that I would say are excellent leaders and then you put them in a different forum and it's someone that you would really have expected to be that person to ask that awkward question and to trust but verify when it comes to something that's very important to the success of the project. And I can remember sitting in a boardroom for a high level review of a project that we had been working tirelessly on, with the expectation that the project manager on that effort... there was an issue that came up and I cannot remember the issue now, nor is it important, but he did not ask the awkward question or raise the issue with leadership and point out why that was something that our team could not do or should not do or it was not in the best interest of our goal. So we actually left that room with guidance contrary to what I believe that program manager thought was appropriate because he didn't have the confidence or whatever it was to ask that awkward question. And I would never have expected that, because he was an excellent leader when he was leading his peers and subordinates, but in that circumstance for whatever reason, did not ask the awkward question and I thought it was detrimental.
So I think that is a bit tricky, right? Maybe this is a bit harsh but I'll just come out and say it. I think in business you're building relationships not necessarily friends, right? You know, I think friendship hopefully underpins a lot of it, but when you build relationships you're not expecting someone to tell you. I think a lot of times you look towards like a... when I say friend, I mean the type of person who's going to tell you what you want to hear. I think in business when you talk about trusted relationships, you're not looking for someone who is going to tell you what you want to hear and so I think that's different and that's hard and that's a way that you have to look at building relationships and how you interact with other people. And then the other thing that I carried with me from consulting into my role um, you know, as an employee, is something that I learned from when as a consultant I always had to, you know, you're filling out a time card, you're doing a lot of hourly work, those kind of things. You do the standard documentation of the project task. You know, what you've done, those kind of things. I was always required... I had an excellent manager who thought it was important that not only that... he had a separate area of the report where you had to put the value that you added to your customer. What value did you bring to your customer with that period of work?
Yes, but it's really powerful when you take even just like a subset of your week of work or your day of work or whatever time period you're operating on and, and really try and think about not just what I did but how did I help further whatever their goals are, or further their strategy or their vision. You know, it really brings you back to the focus of customer and the bigger picture and I think sometimes, you know, you really need to close the aperture and get down to business and get things done, but a lot of times there's a lot of value in being able to open the aperture and check in on where you stand bigger picture-wise.

3. 今天阅读的自我思考点评感想
1) The significant challenge as PMP: change and how change will be interpreted and communicate with stakeholders
2) The tough thing:  the transition from being results oriented and numbers based to trying to create something tangible →  more of a relationship and people interaction role, and the work product is the interactions with people.
3) The first thing: to have a common vision and agreement and build some consensus.
4) You have to accept some risk in trying to establish those boundaries of when it is that you should be speaking and when you should be listening up.
5) You would need to have a strong relationship with the people in the room, in order to know whether you should speak up in that setting, whether you should hold off and speak up in another setting or what it is. It is about establishing a level of trust with the people that you work with.
6) Build trust with people: you need to create experiences with them that change the beliefs that they hold about you or with regard to you.
7) About raising the awkward question: where there's smoke there's probably fire. if somebody else isn't asking the question it's probably why they brought you in, because you need to get to the bottom of it and help ask that question and find the root cause of the problem and go from there
8) In business you're building relationships not necessarily friends. Instead, the point is where you had to put the value that you added to your customer.
9) Try to decompose in watching other people work: what it is that makes them successful.
10) In every interaction you are always training or untraining.
已有 1 人评分论坛币 收起 理由
充实每一天 + 80 精彩帖子

总评分: 论坛币 + 80   查看全部评分

使用道具

ktl8818 发表于 2018-6-21 09:25:40 |显示全部楼层 |坛友微信交流群
昨日阅读3.5小时  累计阅读368.5小时。
已有 1 人评分论坛币 收起 理由
充实每一天 + 10 精彩帖子

总评分: 论坛币 + 10   查看全部评分

使用道具

Greenwicher 学生认证  发表于 2018-6-21 09:26:17 |显示全部楼层 |坛友微信交流群
昨日阅读1小时,累计阅读592小时
已有 1 人评分论坛币 收起 理由
充实每一天 + 10 精彩帖子

使用道具

linhaofy 发表于 2018-6-21 09:28:53 |显示全部楼层 |坛友微信交流群
昨日阅读1小时,累计阅读51小时。
已有 1 人评分论坛币 收起 理由
充实每一天 + 10 精彩帖子

使用道具

jeffyangsir 发表于 2018-6-21 09:36:38 |显示全部楼层 |坛友微信交流群
昨日阅读2小时,累计阅读185小时
已有 1 人评分论坛币 收起 理由
充实每一天 + 10 精彩帖子

使用道具

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 我要注册

本版微信群
加好友,备注jr
拉您进交流群

京ICP备16021002-2号 京B2-20170662号 京公网安备 11010802022788号 论坛法律顾问:王进律师 知识产权保护声明   免责及隐私声明

GMT+8, 2024-3-29 09:39