Multithreaded Pruned Tree Search
in Distributed Systems
Yaoqing Gao and T. A. Marsland
Computing Science Department
University ofAlberta
Edmonton, Canada T6G 2H1
<gaoyq,tony>@cs.ualberta.ca
Abstract
Although eff i cient support for data-parallel applications is relatively well estab-
lished, it remains open how well to support irregular and dynamic problems where
there are no regular data structures and communication patterns. Tree search is central
to solving a variety ofproblems in artif i cial intelligence and an important subset ofthe
irregular applications where tasks are frequently created and terminated. In this paper,
we introduce the design ofa multithreaded distributed runtime system. Eff i ciency and
ease ofparallel programming are the two primary goals. In our system, multithreading
is used to specify the asynchronous behavior in parallel game tree search, and dynamic
load balancing is employed for eff i cient performance.
Keywords: Multithreaded computation, irregular problem, α - β search,
data dependency and dynamic scheduling
1 Introduction
Workstation networks are increasingly prevalent because oftheir versatility and the advan-
tage of high scalability and cost-effectiveness over parallel machines. Many distributed
programming systems such as PVM, P4, MPI, Linda and Express have been built. Most
of them handle only a process-based message-passing paradigm that ably supports data-
parallel applications with regular data structures and communication patterns. But, un-
fortunately, a large proportion of real-word applications are irregular. Pruned search, an
* The research was supported by the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council ofCanada.

multithreaded pruned tree search in distributed systems.pdf (4.5 MB, 需要: 8 个论坛币)
二维码

扫码加我 拉你入群

请注明:姓名-公司-职位

以便审核进群资格,未注明则拒绝

关键词:distributed tribute Systems System search

本版微信群
加JingGuanBbs
拉您进交流群

京ICP备16021002-2号 京B2-20170662号 京公网安备 11010802022788号 论坛法律顾问:王进律师 知识产权保护声明   免责及隐私声明

GMT+8, 2024-10-6 21:28