楼主: leewrcn
42355 237

[推荐] 本人珍藏的Nobel Lectures in Economic Sciences (1969 - 2004) [推广有奖]

leewrcn 发表于 2005-1-20 09:24:00 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群

Now, we will introduce Mundell

The Bank of Sweden Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel 1999

Presentation Speech by Professor Torsten Persson of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, December 10, 1999. Translation of the Swedish text.

Professor Torsten Persson delivering the Presentation Speech for the 1999 Bank of Sweden Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel at the Stockholm Concert Hall. Phot Hans Mehlin, Nobelprize.org

Your Majesties, Your Royal Highness, Ladies and Gentlemen, The advancement of science frequently relies on new methods that allow us to approach questions no one has been able to answer in the past. Scientific breakthroughs also occur when creative researchers ask new questions that no one was imaginative enough to formulate in the past. The ability to pose new questions is perhaps particularly important in economics and other social sciences. Society undergoes constant transformation, due to changed institutions, behavior and expectations. In other words, the social sciences necessarily attack moving targets. Successful researchers thus establish new methods which turn out to have a lasting impact, or they pose new questions which are one step ahead of social development. In several papers, published in the early 1960s, Robert Mundell succeeded in doing both. This year's Laureate formulated a new framework, the so-called Mundell-Fleming model. He used it to show how the short-run effects of monetary and fiscal policy in an open economy hinge on the international mobility of capital. He also demonstrated the importance of the exchange rate regime: under a floating exchange rate, monetary policy becomes a powerful means of stabilizing the economy, whereas fiscal policy becomes powerless. The opposite is true under a fixed exchange rate. In contrast to his colleagues in the field, Mundell's research did not stop at short-run static analysis; he formulated dynamic models to deal with the economy's adjustment over time. He analyzed the mechanisms through which prolonged balance-of-payments deficits and surpluses occur and are gradually eliminated. Mundell also examined ways in which monetary and fiscal policy can be decentralized, by asking: how might instability in the economy be avoided over time if each of these instruments is directed toward either of two objectives, external and internal balance? The new methods had a rapid and far-reaching impact on research. Today's standard methods in international macroeconomics are thus deeply rooted in Mundell's work. But this year's Laureate also posed new questions with uncommon accuracy, particularly in terms of the future development of monetary arrangements and capital markets. In the 1960s, almost all countries were linked together by fixed exchange rates within the so-called Bretton Woods System. Despite this, Mundell devoted an equal share of his analysis of economic policy to the regime of floating exchange rates. At this time, international capital movements were highly restricted, largely due to extensive exchange controls. Mundell nevertheless examined what the effects of economic policy would be when there is high capital mobility between countries. According to the prevailing view of economic policy, the prerequisite for a successful outcome was that the government gathered all economic-policy instruments in a single hand. Mundell broke with this tradition and analyzed the possibilities of decentralizing monetary policy to the central bank. The academic literature as well as the practical debate regarded it as self-evident that each nation should have its own currency. But Mundell posed a radical question about "optimal currency areas": under what circumstances is it advantageous for a number of regions to relinquish their monetary sovereignty in favor of a common currency? These problems might have seemed like an academic curiosity 35 years ago. But reality eventually caught up with Mundell's analysis. The Bretton Woods System broke down in the early 1970s and an increasing number of currencies began to float freely. International capital markets gradually opened up and are now gigantic. Today, many central banks are independently responsible for price stability. And many countries – even outside Europe – have formed, or contemplate forming, a currency union. Hence, Mundell's research foreshadowed social development. As a result, it has also had a strong impact on economic policy considerations in practice. Dear Professor Mundell: The methodology you introduced several decades ago still forms a solid foundation for research and teaching in international macroeconomics. Indeed, your contributions reshaped this field. The questions you asked anticipated important changes in monetary arrangements and capital markets with almost prophetic foresight. Thus, your work is a superb reminder of the importance of basic research. It is a great honor and a privilege for me to convey to you, on behalf of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, our warmest congratulations. I now ask you to receive the Prize from the hands of His Majesty the King.

The Master said, Even when walking in a party of no more than three I

使用道具

leewrcn 发表于 2005-1-20 09:25:00 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群

Now, we will introduce Mundell

Robert A. Mundell – Banquet Speech

Robert A. Mundell's speech at the Nobel Banquet, December 10, 1999

Your Majesties, Your Royal Highness, Ladies and Gentlemen, I have been very lucky in my career. I was lucky first of all to find a profession that suited me. As an undergraduate at UBC in Canada, I fell in love with economic theory. It was the right choice for me.

I went to the University of Washington in Seattle. This was a very good place to study, and I learned a lot. But it wasn't the right place for my PhD. So I asked three professors for advice: One said: "Go to the place where you can get the best fellowship." A second said: "Go to the best place and borrow whatever money you need." The last one said: "Marry a rich girl and let her support you!"

I took the advice of the professor who said to go to the best place and borrow. I went to MIT and borrowed, took three courses, passed my doctorate exams, and lived happily ever after.

In the spring of that academic year, I got a Canadian Scholarship, named after the former Prime Minister, William Lyon Mackenzie King, which let me study wherever I wanted. I decided to go to the London School of Economics to write my thesis for MIT, under James Meade, Nobelist with Bertil Ohlin in 1977. I took a ship to Italy, passed through Siena where Valerie, Nicholas and I now happily reside every summer, and hitchhiked to Stockholm, where I spent a splendid week. That was the summer of 1955, and I knew I was destined to return to Sweden!

How much we owe to good teachers, good education, and good advice! But caveat emptor! I shall not tell my two-year-old son Nicholas to do what I did, but to do things his own way!

As the song says:

I've loved, I've laughed and cried I've had my fill, my share of losing; And then, when tears subside, I find it all so amusing To think I did all that And, may I say not in a shy way, Oh no, oh no, not me, I did it, my way.

From Les Prix Nobel 1999.

使用道具

hitfeng 发表于 2005-1-20 09:45:00 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
怎么乱七八糟的,,,整理到一个文件好么?

使用道具

leewrcn 发表于 2005-1-20 09:58:00 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群

Robert A. Mundell – Nobel Diploma

Artist: Nils G Stenqvist Calligrapher: Annika Rücker

使用道具

leewrcn 发表于 2005-1-20 09:59:00 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群

Robert A. Mundell – Prize Award Photo

Prize Award Photo at the Stockholm Concert Hall 1999. Robert A. Mundell receiving his Prize from His Majesty the King. Phot Hans Mehlin, Nobelprize.org

使用道具

fdio 发表于 2005-1-20 11:29:00 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
wo shuo shuo

使用道具

patter 发表于 2005-1-20 11:55:00 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
xiexiexiexie[em02][em02][em02][em02][em02][em02]

使用道具

Nessus 发表于 2005-1-20 12:56:00 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
好人啊!!先谢过了!

使用道具

zhangkun 发表于 2005-1-20 14:27:00 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
thank you

使用道具

yuweiyuwei 发表于 2005-1-20 15:00:00 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
8cuo

使用道具

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 我要注册

本版微信群
加JingGuanBbs
拉您进交流群

京ICP备16021002-2号 京B2-20170662号 京公网安备 11010802022788号 论坛法律顾问:王进律师 知识产权保护声明   免责及隐私声明

GMT+8, 2024-6-8 12:27