是不是真的,就不知道了,但是我知道这句话用英语翻译过来是:「Jump out of the frying pan and into the fire」.
01.一直被盯着的壶永远烧不开;等待的时候感觉很漫长
A watched pot never boils.Time feels longer when you are waiting for something to happen.
There's no point staring at your phone waiting for her to reply, a watched pot never boils.
你没必要盯着手机等她回复,一直被盯着的壶永远烧不开。
A watched pot never boils, go for a walk or something.
等待的时候感觉很漫长,你出去走走,或者做点什么事。
做不了就走人
If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.If you can't cope with the work, leave it to someone who can.
As your manager I'll support you, but if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.
作为你的经理,我会支持你;但是如果你承受不了,你就别做了。
If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. There is always other work.
如果你受不了,就别做了,总有其他工作。
03.厨师太多做不好汤;人多坏事
Too many cooks spoil the broth.
If too many people are involved in a task or an activity, it may actually turn out worse.
- I don't think we need another project manager, too many cooks spoil the broth.我觉得我们不需要另一位项目经理了,人多坏事。
- Too many cooks spoil the broth, we don't need to hire more people for one job.人多坏事,为了一个工作,我们不用多招人。
04.才下刀山,又入火海
Jump out of the frying pan and into the fire.To go from a bad situation to an even worse one.
- She thought that getting married early would let her have independence, but actually she was just jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.她以为早点结婚能让她独立,但其实情况只是越来越糟糕。
05.覆水难收,不用为洒了的牛奶哭泣
It's no use crying over spilt milk.There’s no point being upset about something that happened in the past.
Well, what has happened, has happened. It's not use crying over spilt milk.
事情都已经发生了,没必要为已经发生的事情难过了。
It's no use crying over spilt milk. It could have been whisky.
牛奶洒了不用哭,洒的还有可能是威士忌呢,事情没那么糟糕。
One's goose is cooked 1) One is defeated or ruined.2) One is facing inescapable punishment for some trouble one is in or has caused.
- You promised your wife that you'll be home early. If you're late, your goose is cooked.你答应你老婆要早点回家的,如果你晚了,你就完了。
- The boss is furious with you, your goose is cooked.老板对你很生气,你完了。
07.生气
To boil over When someone can’t control their anger and starts to argue or fight.
He boiled over when he found out she cheated on him.
他知道她出轨的时候,特别生气。
If I was talked to like that I would boil over too.
如果他们这样对我说话,我也会生气。
To simmer downTo become calm
When the boss offered more money, she started to simmer down.
老板说多给点钱的时候,她开始冷静下来。
After a long walk I simmered down.
散了很长一段时间的步之后,我冷静了下来。
09.质问,拷问
To grill someone To question someone without letting up.
He grilled me all night long.
他整晚都在拷问我。
I think I should give him a good grilling to get answers.
要想知道答案,我觉得我得好好问问他。
10.五十步笑百步
The pot calling the kettle black.Something you say that means people should not criticize someone else for a fault that they have themselves.
Karen called me selfish, talk about the pot calling the kettle black!
凯伦还说我自私,这不就是五十步笑百步!