赵安豆老师微信:zhaoandou666

经管之家联合CDA

送您一个全额奖学金名额~ !

感谢您参与论坛问题回答

经管之家送您两个论坛币!

+2 论坛币

The Fed lists things it could do, but won't

Jul 14th 2011, 19:06 by R.A. | WASHINGTON

THE financial press has been aflutter in recent days with stories of the form, "Fed opens the door to QE3". The burst of excitement is rooted in the release of minutes from the Fed's June meeting and in new testimony from Chairman Ben Bernanke. The minutes revealed that some members of the Federal Open Market Committee are concerned about the disappointing performance of the economy and are anxious to talk about how the Fed might act if necessary. And in testimony given yesterday, Mr Bernanke listed the options
available to the Fed:

Even with the federal funds rate close to zero, we have a number of ways in which we could act to ease financial conditions further. One option would be to provide more explicit guidance about the period over which the federal funds rate and the balance sheet would remain at their current levels. Another approach would be to initiate more securities purchases or to increase the average maturity of our holdings. The Federal Reserve could also reduce the 25 basis point rate of interest it pays to banks on their reserves, thereby putting downward pressure on short-term rates more generally. Of course, our experience with these policies remains relatively limited, and employing them would entail potential risks and costs. However, prudent planning requires that we evaluate the efficacy of these and other potential alternatives for deploying additional stimulus if conditions warrant.

The Fed is clearly not out of ammunition. It has "these and other potential alternatives" at the ready. But will it use them?

Well, it might. Mr Bernanke didn't actually open the door to QE3 this week, because the door was never really closed. But while the odds of additional easing have probably risen a bit, it still seems far more likely to me that nothing will be done.

The Fed has a dual mandate, but it behaves as though price stability is its only remit. Have a look at the path of the employment-population ratio:

If the Fed were taking the full employment part of its mandate seriously and thought a large programme of quantitative easing made sense in 2009 and again in 2010, then it's difficult to see how additional action isn't warranted now. The dual mandate is a joke. What the Fed does care about is inflation. Have a look at this chart of implied inflation expectations, from Tim Duy:

It took a substantial decline in inflation expectations to get the Fed to engage in QE2. Since the spring, expectations have fallen again, but they remain well above the levels that are likely to get the Fed to act. The Fed, for whatever reason, has abandoned any effort to address the employment gap. It's only mission now is to avoid deflation.

And as Mr Duy argues, that means that additional action probably isn't forthcoming. Core consumer price inflation fell below 1.0% last summer, prompting a Fed response. Now, core inflation stands at 1.5%. Headline inflation figures are falling, of course, thanks to recent declines in commodity prices. It's less clear that core inflation will drop very much anytime soon, not least because rents—a substantial component of the price index—are rising. And because Mr Bernanke is probably right that growth will pick up in the second half of the year, putting a floor under disinflation.

I find this...frustrating. Rising rents are driven by real scarcity; an increase in inflation associated with rent increases isn't a sign of a monetary-induced upward spiral. The outlook for growth is improving, but it was also improving in the spring and late fall of 2010 and as we see above this translated into virtually no closing of the employment gap. Growth was neither strong enough nor sustained long enough to make a difference. Most importantly, with labour markets extraordinarily weak there is no sign of significant upward pressure on wages. The Fed has tools, as it freely admits. Its mandate demands that it use them, and the economics of the situation suggest that it could use them without touching off much in the way of inflation.

My guess is that the Fed will only act if crisis in Europe or a bad outcome in American debt talks lead to a sharp drop in growth and inflation expectations. Otherwise, it will stand by waiting, ever vigilant, for the first sign of troublesome inflation. Mr Bernanke is like a man with a jack walking by a car with a blown tyre but refusing to act lest the driver run a bit over the posted speed limit.

原文地址:http://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2011/07/monetary-policy

二维码

扫码加我 拉你入群

请注明:姓名-公司-职位

以便审核进群资格,未注明则拒绝

关键词:follow HAC LOW Expectations alternatives 英语 讨论 follow 真经版

已有 8 人评分经验 论坛币 学术水平 热心指数 信用等级 收起 理由
心情晴朗 + 1 + 1 + 1 有水平的帖子
mscontrol + 1 + 1 + 1 对论坛有贡献
starskyjing + 1 + 1 精彩帖子
eros_zz + 60 + 2 + 2 + 2 对论坛有贡献
happylife87 + 1 + 1 + 1 精彩帖子
cglee + 2 + 2 + 2 精彩帖子
bengdi1986 + 60 + 60 + 1 + 2 + 3 根据规定进行奖励
nkygwang + 2 + 1 精彩帖子

总评分: 经验 + 60  论坛币 + 120  学术水平 + 11  热心指数 + 11  信用等级 + 10   查看全部评分

whachel1976 发表于 2011-7-23 19:24:31 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
Quantitative easing (QE) is an unconventional monetary policy tool used by some central banks to stimulate the national economy when conventional monetary policy has become ineffective. A central bank implements quantitative easing by purchasing financial assets from banks and other private sector businesses with newly created money. This action increases the excess reserves of the banks, and also raises the prices of the financial assets bought, which lowers their yield.

——from wikipedia
已有 1 人评分学术水平 热心指数 收起 理由
骆驼祥子 + 1 + 1 谢谢,多学习

总评分: 学术水平 + 1  热心指数 + 1   查看全部评分

使用道具

ghost_3 发表于 2011-7-17 11:12:24 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
This is the first time for me to read the article competely ,and I think it is of high quality ,futhermore , let me make great progress. The comments are also more useful than interesting ,and i hope i can stick to FOLLOW US everyday.
已有 1 人评分热心指数 信用等级 收起 理由
whachel1976 + 1 + 1 欢迎加入follow us!

总评分: 热心指数 + 1  信用等级 + 1   查看全部评分

使用道具

zhang533744 发表于 2011-7-17 08:05:30 来自手机 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
67,67赶个晚集
已有 1 人评分热心指数 收起 理由
whachel1976 + 1 鼓励积极发帖讨论

总评分: 热心指数 + 1   查看全部评分

使用道具

yongjianlin 发表于 2011-7-17 00:44:48 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
学习了,很受启发。。。
已有 1 人评分热心指数 收起 理由
whachel1976 + 1 鼓励积极发帖讨论

总评分: 热心指数 + 1   查看全部评分

使用道具

wangzhengily521 发表于 2011-7-16 23:41:40 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
The testimony or the news ,itself,is one kind of act.Generally speaking,i agree with the viewpoint of the title.
已有 1 人评分学术水平 收起 理由
whachel1976 + 1 分析的有道理

总评分: 学术水平 + 1   查看全部评分

使用道具

心情晴朗 发表于 2011-7-16 23:39:14 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
this article is a little professional , and there are some places i do not quite understand when i am on the subway,but now i am back to my house and i can be more thoroughly comprehend this article ```
XC君,明天看你的好帖子呀!
已有 1 人评分信用等级 收起 理由
whachel1976 + 1 鼓励积极发帖讨论

总评分: 信用等级 + 1   查看全部评分

生命需要自己去承担,命运更需要自己去把握。不要气馁,坚持下去!

使用道具

whachel1976 发表于 2011-7-16 22:39:58 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
QE:quantitative easing 的缩写

第一次量化宽松(QE1):在雷曼兄弟于2008年9月倒闭后,美联储就赶忙推出了量化宽松政策。在随后的三个月中,美联储创造了超过一万亿美元的储备,主要是通过将储备贷给它们的附属机构,然后通过直接购买抵押贷款支持证券。   
第二次量化宽松(QE2):自2010年4月份美国的经济数据开始令人失望,进入步履蹒跚的复苏以来,美联储一直受压于需要推出另一次的量化宽松:第二次量化宽松(QE2)。伯南克在当年八月份在杰克逊霍尔的联储官员聚会中为第二次量化宽松打开了大门。但他同时谨慎地指出,量化宽松不是一个成熟的补救办法。而且,也不是所有的人都支持量化宽松政策。美国联邦储备委员会公开市场委员会(FOMC)宣布,将再次实施6000亿美元的“量化宽松”计划,美联储发货币购买财政部发行的长期债券,每个月购买额为750亿,直到2011年第二季度。这就是QE2,即所谓美联储的第二次量化宽松政策。QE2的目的是通过大量购买美国国债,压低长期利率,借此提振美国经济,特别是避免通货紧缩,并降低高达9.6%的失业率。

资料来源:http://baike.baidu.com/view/4637828.htm
已有 2 人评分学术水平 热心指数 收起 理由
starskyjing + 1 + 1 谢谢,学习了
ghost_3 + 1 多谢,学习了

总评分: 学术水平 + 1  热心指数 + 2   查看全部评分

使用道具

whachel1976 发表于 2011-7-16 22:33:23 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群

It goes with the stories that FED might open the door to QE3 with a number of ways to act. It can be seen from the path of the employment-population graph that the employment ratio slumped about 5% when QE1 and QE2 were taken, although QE2 turned the downtrend of inflation and improved economic growth. In the current situation, the inflation rate is above the acceptable level, rising rents push forward the price index and the labor markets are extraordinarily weak without significant pressure on wages. In view of the dual mandate of the FED, QE3 might cause inflation while ignoring the stress of unemployment rate. Maybe it makes much sense that the FED just wait and see right now without taking QE3.

使用道具

starskyjing 发表于 2011-7-16 21:53:19 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
54/54

能读懂,但是一直不明白QE什么意思,还有QE1.2.3,这些是什么政策的简称啊?
已有 1 人评分信用等级 收起 理由
whachel1976 + 1 好的意见建议

总评分: 信用等级 + 1   查看全部评分

使用道具

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 我要注册

本版微信群
加JingGuanBbs
拉您进交流群

京ICP备16021002-2号 京B2-20170662号 京公网安备 11010802022788号 论坛法律顾问:王进律师 知识产权保护声明   免责及隐私声明

GMT+8, 2024-5-18 01:01