楼主: 非主流书生
12017 143

经济学的穷途末路 [推广有奖]

非主流书生 发表于 2010-1-26 22:03:50 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
Some excerpts from "Dilemmas of an Economic Theorist", by Ariel Rubinstein, Econometrica, Vol. 74, No. 4 (Jul., 2006), pp. 865-883

What on earth am I doing? What are we trying to accomplish as economic theorists? We essentially play with toys called models. We have the luxury of remaining children over the course of our entire professional lives and we are even well paid for it. We get to call ourselves economists and the public naively thinks that we are improving the economy's performance, increasing the rate of growth, or preventing economic catastrophes. Of course, we can justify this image by repeating some of the same fancy sounding slogans we use in our grant proposals, but do we ourselves believe in those slogans? I recall a conference I attended in Lumini, France, in the summer of 1981 that was attended by the giants of the game theory profession. They were standing around in a beautiful garden waiting for dinner after a long day of sessions. Some of us, the more junior game theoreticians, were standing off to the side eavesdropping on their conversation. They loudly discussed the relevance of game theory and one of them suggested that we are just "making a living." I think he merely intended to be provocative, but nonetheless his response traumatized me. Are we no more than "economic agents" maximizing our utility? Are we members of an unproductive occupation that only appears to others to be useful?

Models in economic theory are also used to suggest regularities in human behavior and interaction. By regularities I mean phenomena that appear repeatedly in similar environments at different points in time and at different locations. I have the impression that as economic theorists, we hope that regularities will miraculously emerge from the formulas we write leisurely at our desks. Applied economists often feel the need for a model before they mine data for a pattern or regularity. Do we really need economic theory to find these regularities? Would it not be better to go in the opposite direction by observing the real world, whether through empirical or experimental data, to find unexpected regularities? Personally I doubt that we need pre- conceived theories to find regularities.

We have now arrived at the dilemma of modelless regularities. We would like a model to produce interesting conclusions that are consistent with observed regularities so we can claim that the model provides an explanation of those regularities, but are complicated theoretical models really necessary to find interesting regularities?

It is true that I would like to change the world. I want people to listen to me, but as an economic theorist, do I have anything to say to them? One of my earliest interests as an economic theorist was in bargaining theory. There were two reasons for this: First and foremost, bargaining theory involves the construction of models that are simple but nevertheless rich in results that have attractive interpretations. Indeed, the possibility of deriving meaningful statements through the manipulation of mathematical symbols was something that attracted me to economics in the first place. Second, as a child I frequented the open air markets in West Jerusalem and later the Bazaar in the Old City of Jerusalem, and as a result, bargaining had an exotic appeal for me. I came to prefer bargaining theory over auction theory, because auctions were associated with the rich whereas bargaining was associated with the common people. However, I never imagined that bargaining theory would make me a better bargainer. When people approached me later in life for advice in negotiating the purchase of an apartment or to join a team planning strategy for political negotiations, I declined. I told them that as an economic theorist I had nothing to contribute. I did not say that I lacked commonsense or life experience that might be useful in such negotiations, but rather that my professional knowledge was of no use in these matters. This response was sufficient to deter them. Decision makers are usually looking for professional advice, rather than advice based on commonsense. They believe, and perhaps rightly so, that they have at least as much commonsense as assertive professional economists. Nevertheless, I am a teacher of microeconomics. I am a part of the "machine" that I suspect is influencing students to think in a way that I do not particularly like.

This brings me to the fourth dilemma. I believe that as an economic theorist, I have very little to say about the real world and that there are very few models in economic theory that can be used to provide serious advice. However, economic theory has real effects. I cannot ignore the fact that our work as teachers and researchers influences students' minds and does so in a way with which I am not comfortable. Can we find a way to be relevant without being charlatans?

使用道具

zhaojumping 发表于 2010-1-27 11:41:52 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
非主流书生 发表于 2010-1-26 22:03
zhaojumping 发表于 2010-1-26 21:15
非主流书生 发表于 2010-1-26 15:31
zhaojumping 发表于 2010-1-26 14:38

没有DSGE,你知道VAR应该是什么形式的?应该包括什么内生和外生变量?这种数据驱动的模型只具有预测上意义,不具有结构上的意义。SVAR随然有所进步,但是它还是来自于数据估计,不论从模拟意义上看,还是从估计的稳健性上看,都有改进的空间。你说“总是难不倒经济学家的”,说得好,说明这个学科还是有生命力的,不然象有些学科,几十年分析范式和方法论都没有进步,那不是离“穷途末路”更近了么?

周小川看不看,我不知道,我想估计LZ也不知道,对不知道的东西下结论有些草率吧,就比如说“经济学的穷途末路”。

(我不炒股,不是没钱,是不梦想一夜暴富,也不愿意把自己辛苦挣的钱扔进这个大赌局。不过房子我还是愿意买的。人大某位教授上周在电视上说,美国股市收益比房市好,所以大家不要买房子,要买股票,但毕竟中国国情同别的国家不一样吧,就好像之前你说的。)
如果只是为了确定实证模型里的内外生变量,无需如此费事,如果DSGE不能为实证模型提供具体的结构上的信息,就只是个玩具而已。

这样的模型基于representative agent的最优化问题,很难对政策有什么用。假设人民币升值了,模型可能告诉我们在这个“负面”的冲击下,gdp会下降,然后经过调整后会达到新的均衡,你们甚至可以通过模拟来看看整个调整的过程。然而,这样的分析能告诉我们这个政策是好还是坏吗?不行吧,即使gdp下降也未必是坏事啊,因为虽然劳动者的收入少了,可他们所享受的闲暇却多了,好坏如何确定呢?你们敢用效用方程所给出的值来衡量这个agent的效用在人民币升值后的变化吗?估计不敢,因为微观经济学家会跳出来说那是不可比的。所以说,那些宏观模型的所谓的“微观基础”只不过是一块遮羞布而已。

现阶段我劝你还是先别买房,看看再说,相信****不会让老百姓买不起房子。股市绝对应该进,你没时间兴趣不用炒,有闲钱挑些稳重的股票买,日后你就会感谢我了。现在先别买,等它跌透了再说。
问题就在于,没有微观基础的模型你敢用吗?肯定是不敢乱用的。DSGE作用就在于提供结构上的信息。经济问题有趣就在于没有任何现成的结构上的信息可用。RBC不是没有问题,最简单的技术冲击本身就是很难分解的,和制度、法律、开工率等等相关,还有就是生产函数的结构稳定性,但是好的一方面在于它比凯恩斯主义要来的实在。还有就是“代表性经济体”这个概念其实只是当年为了严谨提出的东西,既然宏观经济研究的是总量关系,大可以不必理会这个玩意,大可以把整个社会看作一个整体,反正近期的很多论文已经不怎么提这个了(当然也可能是这些论文不严谨了)。如果要说宏观有什么问题,还不如说现有主流理论忽略相对价格变化这个问题(就好象奥地利学派说的)。
再有LZ说“经济学的穷途末路”,但是经济学不知包括宏观(论坛上批判宏观的太多了,挺无聊的),还有微观、计量,好像说计量“穷途末路”的人还不多,LZ不妨谈谈这个吧,也算有点新意。
房子我已经有了,而且已经升值不少,多亏导师指点,06年就想方设法买了,当时也有很多人说房价会跌。
“相信****不会让老百姓买不起房子”,确实,但得分是什么房子,香港的“村屋”不知道LZ见过没,那种房子住着实在没啥意思。
中国石油都能套住那么多人、中国远洋都不值得买,你说价值投资现阶段有意义么。货币继续紧缩,股市今天又跌了,从某种程度上看,这也是经济学家忽悠的吧,呵呵。
说RBC比凯恩斯主义来得实在,Prescott笑了。60-70年代凯恩斯主义是主流时,一般标新立异的经济学家提出了一个观点:经济周期其实并不一定是经济病态,而可能是人们在各种冲击下最优化选择的结果,所谓的real business cycle,也就是说并不是一个货币现象。在凯恩斯主义做主流时提出这样非主流的观点自然有趣,而且可以用比较新的intertemporal optimization范式,于是流行起来。越玩越火,慢慢地成了主流,大家便忘了其只是个玩具而已。其实大部分应该很清楚,不过不点破而已。

经济学里的研究火不火与其是否有用没有关系,关键是要看能不能有很多东西玩。常常有些青年学者有宏愿想将经济问题彻底解决,殊不知这是大忌,你把问题都解决了,大家还玩什么,不能把问题做死了。一篇文章能说明的东西要学会拆成5篇,越多越好。

不单是宏观,其他学科也有类似现象。等会贴一个微观里博弈论的大牛评论自己学科的,你自己看。

还有近来火了一阵子的实验经济学,我学的时候问老师是不是应该让那些参与实验的人在实验做完后将解释一下他们在实验中行为。老师回答说你相不相信他们说的呢?我觉得无所谓,至少是信息。后来想明白了,千万不能让做实验的人解释,因为没有这样的解释,研究者可以根据实验结果自由发挥,有利于写文章。如果让他们解释了,问题就做死了。
凯恩斯的连特征事实都不匹配,这个就没啥好说的了。博弈论本就就是一个形而上的东西,你叫他怎么使用?

至于实验经济学,为什么没人对心理学实验或者组织行为学实验提出这么大的异议?也许是我们不知道。

既然你贴了篇文章,我也有一篇,是普洛色写的,叫做“理解实际周期”可惜手头只有打印版,没有电子版,回头扫上来。

使用道具

非主流书生 发表于 2010-1-27 12:04:53 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
zhaojumping 发表于 2010-1-27 11:41

说RBC实在、CGE强大、凯恩斯与事实不匹配、博弈论形而上学,乌鸦笑了。

期待那普罗色的东东,我单开了一贴在 http://www.pinggu.org/bbs/thread-699707-1-1.html,不怕扬家丑的英雄,中外皆有。

使用道具

zhaojumping 发表于 2010-1-27 17:00:49 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
非主流书生 发表于 2010-1-27 12:04

期待那普罗色的东东,我单开了一贴在 http://www.pinggu.org/bbs/thread-699707-1-1.html,不怕扬家丑的英雄,中外皆有。
我知道LZ笑了,不用强调,呵呵。
关于实际周期、凯恩斯与特征事实的匹配问题,这是中级宏观教科书的内容(斯蒂芬威廉姆斯的),你没看过不代表不存在是不是。当然LZ非要说我这是本本主义我也就没啥好说的了。

使用道具

zhaojumping 发表于 2010-1-27 17:10:20 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
国际上管凯恩斯主义叫做"stone age"的东西,只有国内因为接触的少,或者是由于意识形态的原因,还是抱着这个不放。龚强固然高喊“回顾哈罗德,回归凯恩斯”,问题是也不过喊喊而已。伯南克依然奉行佛里德曼的药方。

凯恩斯主义与特征事实不符是众所周知的,不然也不会有“卢卡斯批判“这个东西是不是。

使用道具

非主流书生 发表于 2010-1-27 18:48:10 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
zhaojumping 发表于 2010-1-27 17:00

关于实际周期、凯恩斯与特征事实的匹配问题,这是中级宏观教科书的内容(斯蒂芬威廉姆斯的),你没看过不代表不存在是不是。当然LZ非要说我这是本本主义我也就没啥好说的了。
哈哈,到此为止吧,祝你享受研究多发文章

使用道具

zhaojumping 发表于 2010-1-27 19:08:03 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
非主流书生 发表于 2010-1-27 18:48
zhaojumping 发表于 2010-1-27 17:00

哈哈,到此为止吧,祝你享受研究多发文章
研究肯定不是享受,好在我不是以此为生的,纯属爱好。祝你早日提出有价值的经济理论,愿意拜读。

使用道具

zhaojumping 发表于 2010-1-27 19:36:01 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群

本文来自: 人大经济论坛 详细出处参考:http://www.pinggu.org/bbs/viewth ... &from^^uid=181453

文章发在那个帖子里了。

使用道具

缺少爱因斯坦级别的人吧!
读死书永远只会跟到别人屁股后面走,成不了大气候

使用道具

D-Hero 发表于 2010-1-28 00:44:03 |只看作者 |坛友微信交流群
就目前经济学教材与可本而言,所授的只是一种尽可能思维模式和各式各样的数学例题,经济学如果能像理工实验那样调一个指标就可以得到相应的实验结果,那人类文明就会消失…

使用道具

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 我要注册

本版微信群
加JingGuanBbs
拉您进交流群

京ICP备16021002-2号 京B2-20170662号 京公网安备 11010802022788号 论坛法律顾问:王进律师 知识产权保护声明   免责及隐私声明

GMT+8, 2024-5-27 09:34